What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad email is screwed up

nanhz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My email on iPad2 will not delete: I press delete, and I delete it from Trash, and when I open email again, even a few minutes later, the same mail is back again. This happens even if I have deleted it from the computer. Eventually it goes away, but sometimes not for several days.
However, if I read it first on the iPad and delete it, it removes it from my computer.

This is driving me up the wall.
Can someone help? I joined this forum because even Apple Help. when I still was in warranty, couldn't help.

Thanks

OP
N

nanhz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I delete emails they automatically to into the trash folder. I immediately delete them from there, so that as far as I am concerned, they are totally gone. However, the iPad2 does not seem able to get the message.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you using the POP or IMAP mail protocol? They interact with the mail server at your ISP quite differently. IMAP makes the iPad a viewing 'portal' onto your mail server - in effect it is viewing those emails remotely on the server. POP, on the other hand, downloads the emails and only acts on them locally.

Tim

OP
N

nanhz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have POP email. I have no choice, that is what my provider provides. (Optimum) Can this problem be overcome with POP mail?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
POP does not delete it from the mail server - it merely uploads it to your iPad. When you delete it on the iPad it remains on the server. You can usually configure your email server to delete emails after a certain period of time. There's often a setting on your PC mail program to do this - for example on Thunderbird or Windows Mail. You can configure them to delete email removed from the Trash immediately.

Tim

lenrev

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my Comcast email accounts. There was no decent resolution. I also have a Gmail account so I set Gmail to fetch email from the Comcast accounts. There are folders in Gmail for each and I can manage them as I wish. Gmail pushes email to my DroidX and the iPad2 fetches when email is opened. I can manipulate email from either.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The easiest way is to either set up some automatic options on your email server - i.e. delete emails after so many days - or to use a web browser and then go and delete the ones you don't want to see again manually.

Tim

OP
N

nanhz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all. I think I can understand my dilemma now. I'll try the various things suggested, and I'll sign off from this thread now

Most reactions

Latest posts