1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

iPad Easal/Tripod?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by ItsLukw, Jul 1, 2013.

1. ItsLukw

ItsLukw iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good afternoon!

For my A2 Product Design course I have decided to make an iPad easal/tripod. It will be sturdy, having three legs, spiked feet for stability, and will be able to hold the iPad securely at the top using some kind of clamping system. Other features include:

-Storage for iPad stylus users
    -Compact and able to fold down into a small space for ease of movement
    -Telescopic legs for adjustable height

I woud like to know what your thoughts, ideas and opinions are of my product. Just leave a reply to this thread. Also, you can leave suggestions/improvements if you want.
    Thank you for your time and viewing this thread!

-Luke
  2. LannyC

LannyC iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +342 / 0
    It should provide a stable pivot point for taking panoramic photos and movies with the iPad's camera.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.
  3. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    I've seen many tripods for iPads and iPhones and I'd suggest that you compare what's out there vs. what you can add to differentiate your product. I'd also suggest that weight and flexible use would be key.

If you make a product that can somehow fit most iPads in their existing cases, then you'll have a much wider market than if you make a tripod that forces iPad owners to ditch their current cases and buy yours. Because no matter what case you offered, users will have wide preferences, and many will not ditch cases that they already like, just to use a tripod, which most people don't need all the time. (Of course, there are users who really need a tripod for frequent use, but that's a much narrower market.) If you make a lightweight tripod that can easily attach and unattach from most cases, you will have a better shot at a broad range of buyers.

Even better, if you can make a flexible tripod that can somehow easily attach and adapt to a wide range of cars, as well as work for photos and videos elsewhere. Most people will not go through the effort and cost of getting their cars set up for iPads, because most don't have enough need for one, and most people don't want to leave their iPads permanently hooked up to their cars. If you made such a two-fer product, you'd give people incentive to by a lightweight tripod/car mount even in cases when they wouldn't necessarily buy either a tripod or a car mount alone.
  4. ItsLukw

ItsLukw iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is an excellent idea, thank you so much. I will be sure to try to include this in my product.

Thanks again for your contribution!

-Luke
  5. The OB

The OB Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +851 / 1
    Hi ItsLukw, a couple of good suggestions from LannyC and KayKayKay, above.
    I was thinking, if you are talking tripods, that is what photographers use for their cameras (ie other than iPads) for telephoto, night shots etc. If you were to include a clamp to take the standard screw thread to attach a camera, you could well be opening a much larger market for your tripod. Just a thought:)
    Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  6. ItsLukw

ItsLukw iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  7. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    You could make a tripod that works with iPads as well as standard cameras just by having a mount that detaches and is replaceable by a camera mount, for instance.

IMO this will widen your market, but not by much. I say that because photo aficionados will not be the same people who are using iPads for much, if any, photo-taking, because the photo quality of an iPad is lame compared with any decent camera. People who would carry a tripod along with camera gear will typically want a real tripod and already own one.

If you do offer a camera mount as well as an iPad mount, I wouldn't include it. I'd offer as an optional purchase, because you'll keep your price point lower, and that's key. Also, many people no longer use standard cameras at all, because they've gone with the convenience of their phone cameras, and those customers will not want to pay more for an included camera mount that they will not use.
  8. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    Hi Luke, we have just deleted your other thread which is a continuation of this discussion. Please keep your posts about this project to this thread to avoid fragmentation and duplication of the discussion.

The Archangel
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ItsLukw

ItsLukw iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ah okay, sorry! :)
  10. ItsLukw

ItsLukw iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Okay. So you are saying that my product should not widen its market to usual camera users as the chances are they will already own a tripod?
  11. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    As I said: IMO this will widen your market, but not by much.
  12. ItsLukw

ItsLukw iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think that you guys are almost missing the point a bit.

My product is aimed at artists who like to use their iPads to paint pictures. (Digital artists). I simply wanted to know what you thought of the idea.

-Luke
  13. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,002 / 0
    You are fortunate to have received this much attention to a potential product that you are developing. You have requested members thoughts on a product development here, so please consider the time they have given to you upon your request.

Thanks,
    Ski ~ iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    I think your product idea is narrow and won't succeed. That's why I suggested as I did. But you're welcome to prove me wrong, of course.
  15. Roy Rob

Roy Rob iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +140 / 0
    Hi Luke, here's my two cents worth. Just make an attachment for the iPad that will fit existing tripods. Most people who have a film camera, or digital for that matter already own a tripod. Just sayin' 8)