What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad camera fuzzy

ward9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my ipad2 and tried the camera (I don;t plan on using it much however). I find that the viewer and the end product is very grainy - certainly not usable pix. The video camera seems slightly crisper - is this normal?
Pat

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The front camera is VGA-resolution and is designed for video conferencing - Skype, for example. The rear camera is about 1 megapixel resolution and is designed for higher resolution video conferencing and taking videos. Neither are designed for taking still pictures. Even the higher resolution rear camera is very low resolution by still camera standards - which typically might be 5 - 14 megapixels or even more. Basically you cannot use the iPad camera for taking good quality still pictures. So the results you see are entirely consistent with the specification of the cameras. I think that Apple never foresaw people holding up their iPads to take still pictures; for that you'd use a dedicated still camera - or perhaps your iPhone.

Tim

OP
W

ward9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks I don;t plan on using it for pix but was surprised at the graininess - I have seen videos posted on Youtube taken with an ipad2 that are very good quality but again I dont plan on doing this often if ever at all. I have an iphone for that - thanks again.

Pat

KreativeGeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
gamingbox.wordpress.com
Hi ward9 even I found the same thing with my iPad, taking pics with such bulky device is definitely not something I would like to do, video taking ability is fine which is good enough for me.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Normal

That's the way the iPad2 cameras are. If you need better clarity, use your iPhone4 or, better yet, your camera.

Dream

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the lighting is just right, it takes decent pic/video. But if the light is low AT ALL don't expect good pictures.

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just got my 2 because I liked the idea of a camera in iPad. I didn't realize the pics would be so grainy. I want to sit and take pics of grandkids, garden, etc. I always have my iPad with me I've lost too many cameras to count but I love the idea of a pad that does everything. Big enough to see and light enough to carry in my pocketbook. Just give me better picture taking ability. Would also be nice if the button were closer to the side so I could reach it more easily. I love to scroll through the family photos with the kids. Even the one 1/2 year old can slide the pics back and forth. Apple needs to think about we old ladies as well when developing. Of course we want good stills for our old eyes.

Bobbi, a moderately techy grandmom

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree 100%' I really can't believe apple put this pathetic excuse for a camera in such an expensive device. (my wife has an old samsung flip phone that takes higher resolution shots than iPad 2)

cypress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
add me to the list of wishing the camera was better. it would truely make a world of difference. btu lately i been using my friends ipad for video and not so much pictures.

JoPayne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The camera on my ipad2 has been taking fabulous pictures for the first few month now they are really fuzzy no matter what light I am in? I am wondering weather I have knocked and broken the camera or if someone has messed up something in the settings? I can see from the previous posts that many other users have found the camera quality poor but I have really been taking great pictures so far with mine.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
JoPayne said:
The camera on my ipad2 has been taking fabulous pictures for the first few month now they are really fuzzy no matter what light I am in? I am wondering weather I have knocked and broken the camera or if someone has messed up something in the settings? I can see from the previous posts that many other users have found the camera quality poor but I have really been taking great pictures so far with mine.

Have you checked if the lens is clean?

Mjclemm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, just wondering, I have the Ipad2, and the iTouch 4th gem, the 4th gen takes very good pictures at the exact same time as my iPad, and mine on the iPad are horrible in comparison. Any suggestions? Thanks... Mjc...

(no I don't want to use it as an everyday camera at all, not even close, got a pro camera for that, just wondering why so bad on the iPad compared to the iTouch when the pics are taken the exact time..... Ty

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum. I don't know the exact specs of the iPad cameras but both are under 1 megapixel and this is why it's so bad when compared with your itouch
Doing some searches is the best way to answer your questions, if then you cant find what you are looking for then by all means post your question, there are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you. Enjoy!!

Most reactions

Latest posts