What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad bandwidth waste

OmarKN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just now I connected the iP32 with the iMac, with Offline Pages active (which is not downloading anything),

then I check DataMan and it showed that I had used 6.8 MB at that same moment in time when I woke up the iPad!!!

6.8 MB = almost 100% of my daily amount, how come?

Omar KN
(My dataplan has 7 MB / day; 200MB / month)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is the iPad synchronising at this time? Am I missing something myself? How are you connected to the iMac - by USB? I'm confused because, surely, the data usage over the cable wouldn't count?

Tim

OP
O

OmarKN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it has to have something to do with iOS being late ("inertia") to switch from 3G to WiFi.

This iOS 6.8 MB usage happened (according to DataMan tracking bandwidth) when I connected the iPad with the iMac over the USB-cable.

As the app Offline Pages was active, the iPad maybe was then updating newly to be stored pages for this app, that's my guess, but I don't know.

But this isn't the first time with "unexpected high data usage." I have contacted DataMan with a feature request that would make it possible _to identify_ which app used that much bandwidth.

Related: google for "force iphone to use wifi"

bw, Omar

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that DataMan may find it impossible to add that feature to the app. It gets the data usage from iOS since it cannot 'monitor' the apps directly because they are isolated ('sandboxed') in the iPad. Unless iOS decides to make the individual data usage available to apps, then they will find it impossible.

Tim

kucrut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
7 mb data plan wouldnt be enough for anything, it's way too excrutiating,
in some under developed country people already can have unlimited internet connection for 36 cents (usd) for 24 hour with 512kbps speed
it means you can get at least 100mb a day.

are you using free internet or what?
you can ask people near you to get better isp
maybe when you browse itunes app store, 7 mb will only enough for less then 10 pages.

mechs05

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it will be better if you are using unlimited Internet Connection..I'm using that in my country, its about 100K IDR (almost USD 11) for a month.

Most reactions

Latest posts