Ipad and keyboard

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by lhemmerich, Nov 1, 2012.

1. lhemmerich

lhemmerich iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just received the apple keyboard..it works..BUT not they why I thought it would.
    I can type.. But I can not move around the ipad .. When trying to use it with mail I have to keep going back to the ipad to select things..the arrow keys do not move to a new email

Is this all it does?.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Yes. There is no mouse and not all apps have full keyboard support.
  3. giradman

giradman iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +944 / 0
    Hi Ihemmerich - welcome to the forum! :)

Do you have Apple's version of the keyboard; there are plenty of other KBs and functions do vary; I've owned the Apple one since April 2011 and find it indispensable when traveling (no longer take a laptop) to respond to emails, browse the web, etc. The cursor keys (bottom right) work in many apps, but as already stated don't expect universal functions between apps.

And I agree that going from the KB to tapping the iPad screen can be annoying @ first but one quickly adapts - not perfect, but small, easily packed in a carry-on, and necessary if you plan to do a lot of typing IMO - good luck!
  4. Zjrog

Zjrog iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have an iHome keyboard and case that I don't use as much as I thought I would, but when I need to spend a lot of time typing I appreciate the cursor keys that Apple doesn't think we need... Yes, its a bit of a pain to use the physical keyboard and then touch the screen to manipulate pages. Especially since I use a laptop about 50% of the time.