iPad almost not connecting to wifi

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by evennewerbie, Sep 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you live close enough to an Apple Store to visit the Genius Bar? They can run a free diagnostic on your iPad to determine if there is a fault in the iPad.

2. evennewerbie

evennewerbie
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    It would probably need an appointment and take away a good half day but I may have to do that.

3. evennewerbie

evennewerbie
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I did find the cause of the problem. It may be of interest to you or help for others.

I did as you said and contacted Apple. I had not done this earlier because my warranty has run out although the iPad is not very old yet, maybe three or four years. In fact rooting around on the Apple site I got the message "looks like you're not entitled..." or something like that. I had just read that Apple has just opened the the possibility of buying AppleCare for longer periods. But that looked expensive for me because I had never once needed their help for this iPad as far as I remember (very differently from my Mac). So I was looking for a one-off help which they do for about $30. that was going to involve an international phone call, Credit card etc etc and I was saying to myself I'll do it tomorrow. But somehow someone from Apple had noticed me rooting around and magically opened a connection for me to a help chat.

It saved time that I had already done the generally recommended things, plus I had written down the explanations of the problem and what I'd already done so could communicate this succinctly in chat. So the helper could go straight to other things. She put me on hold for a few minutes and came back and asked me if I had a VPN app.

Actually I had bought one recently to make myself more secure. I have actually not been able to get it to work yet, it is still in trial period. The helper invited me to delete VPN apps, and doing so normal Wi-Fi connection was immediately restored, functioning as expected and the .))) symbol reappeared! She explained that there are often conflicts between VPNs and WiFi networks. Next thing I will have to see whether I can install this VPN compatibly or not, but at least a cause was identified which I don't think I would ever have got to myself .. Wondering a bit about what Apple's help policy is but I don't feel bad about getting the free help considering I never used any help at any other timer for this iPad that I remember.

#13 evennewerbie, Sep 16, 2019 at 5:20 AM
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019 at 5:25 AM
  4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Great. I’m glad the solution was so easy.

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hello, first glad that your Wi-Fi conflict was resolved - congrats! However, the presence of a VPN app on your iPad was not mentioned on the first page of this thread - if your Wi-Fi was working well before adding the VPN, then stopped connecting, one of the initial recommendations would have been to remove the VPN to see if that could be the issue?

Just an observation and a hint to other posters who come here w/ a problem(s) on their iDevice - if possible, always supply as much information 'up front' which makes responders posting provide more specific details and likely 'earlier' solutions. This information not only includes the type of iDevice owned (i.e. specific model) and the iOS installed, but other facts such as apps that are misbehaving, recent iOS installs/updates, new apps added, etc. - if installation of a new app and/or an iOS upgrade/update causes the loss of another iDevice function, such as Wi-Fi, then that knowledge may be indispensable in resolving the problem. This is not meant to be a criticism but simply a suggestion for providing an informative first post. Dave

6. PrismStudios

PrismStudios
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I`m honestly perplexed by the comments about customer support. I have never had any mention of a charge, or any hesitation of any kind in regards to getting help. And that`s with 2 of my 4 devices being OUT of warranty! Every time I have live chatted or called, the help was instant, diligent , and FREE. Is it different for a Non US customer? I even made friends with one of my techs, and have her personal line, and email for any future problems she may be able to help me with.

7. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Help for any of the stores is free. On the phone help is part of AppleCare, or charged by the issue. Online chat help appears to be free, at least most of the time. I suspect it’s free as long as they solve the issue then and there, but would cost if it turned into a ticket that needed further support and followup.

Also, Apple has a history of being generous with support and help issues. It won’t always happen, but there are plenty of stories of tech support and Apple Store employees of waving charges for minor problems, or other reasons.

8. PrismStudios

PrismStudios
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I was just curious as my first call ever was in regards to my iPad 2. No warranty, and at the time I had no device with apple care+ Second call was about my iPhone, same situation. Always had "bend over backwards" support over the phone. I even asked for, and got my warranty honored on my Apple Pencil, that I bought on eBay, with NO valid receipt. Live chat was just as amazing....Are people just more polite in the South, as the old stereotypes suggest( techs always told me where they were located.)? BTW, the call where I got the personal number was regarding my WINDOWS notebook not wanting to download icloud for windows, she called back twice! L EDIT: I`ve never been in an Apple store.....

#18 PrismStudios, Sep 16, 2019 at 1:46 PM
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019 at 4:03 PM