What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air 2 much different than iPad 4?

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My current 128GB 4 'full house' goes everywhere with me but I am noticing it often slows on processing specific tasks and at times it's a hefty wee lump slung in my carry-all.

I like the large size screen of the 4 but I really would love some input if there will be an advantage that's noticeable thanks to the A8X chip in the Air 2. Of course I'll be going for the fullest spec'd 128GB Air 2 4G, etc....

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My current 128GB 4 'full house' goes everywhere with me but I am noticing it often slows on processing specific tasks and at times it's a hefty wee lump slung in my carry-all.

I like the large size screen of the 4 but I really would love some input if there will be an advantage that's noticeable thanks to the A8X chip in the Air 2. Of course I'll be going for the fullest spec'd 128GB Air 2 4G, etc....

Hello - I cannot comment of going from the Air to the Air 2, but I did transition from the iPad 2 to the Air 2 and have enjoyed the many changes - as to the Air, for a comparison, take a look HERE which makes a strong point for obtaining the Air 2. Of all of the features listed there, the downsizing in thickness & weight and the Touch ID have been my favorite (compared to my old iPad 2).

Also, keep in mind that some of the multitasking features of the soon to be released iOS 9 will run only on the iPad Air 2, e.g. I am looking forward to the 'split-screen' option (Source), so yet another consideration. Dave :)

Note that some of iOS 9's long-awaited features are going to be available to only certain devices. For example, while the slide-over feature for multitasking can be used on older iPads like the iPad Air and the fourth-generation iPad , split view is only supported by the Air 2 thanks to its larger system memory and more powerful processor.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I went from the iPad 4 to the iPad Air 2 and the two things I liked most were the change in weight and thickness. I use the Air 2 mostly for reading and it's so much lighter and thinner making it much easier to hold.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes and no. The Air 2 is obviously lighter and thinner and has quite a bit more horsepower but depending on what you use the ipad for would affect what you would perceive as a difference.
With that being said, when iOS 9 comes out , I think the true differences in the iPad Air 2 and future versions will begin to shine.
Unless you are in a hurry to upgrade I would say wait 3 months to see what the next Gen iPad is going to bring. Or at least save $100 on the Air 2.

OP
MorrisTheCat

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a heads up that I am now very happy user of an iPad Air 2 (full option 128GB)... It's housed in a Thule case and the best aspect being that although is the same screensize it's a great deal smaller on the footprint and I do notice the reduced weight. The best thing is that the speed of jumping between apps or in my case complex electronics schematic diagrams in .pdf is a breeze, even on the pinch-zoom... a definite degree better over the Gen 4 when multiple pages are loaded.

There are always little concerns and it's the fact the battery appears to be draining way quicker than the one in the Gen 4 ever did. no a big issue but something to beware of. Now to find a new owner for my led Gen 4, full option 128GB always housed in a Griffin case.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are always little concerns and it's the fact the battery appears to be draining way quicker than the one in the Gen 4 ever did. no a big issue but something to beware of. Now to find a new owner for my led Gen 4, full option 128GB always housed in a Griffin case.
Congrats on the new iPad! These batteries get better over time.. I've noticed that on all of my iPhones and iPads.

grommen56

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The 4th generation Ipaad works very good for sketching, but the Ipad Air 2 is almost useless for this. Why? The strokes stops midway, totally random from all apps I have used. After 3 weeks and contact with Apple support, there is no solution in sight. Stay away from Ipad Air 2!

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What sketching app are you using?

I've been using Autodesk's Sketchbook Pro since the original iPad came out six years ago with no problems. My last iPad was the Air and now I have the Pro 9.7 (Which is awesome for graphics programs).

grommen56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What sketching app are you using?

I've been using Autodesk's Sketchbook Pro since the original iPad came out six years ago with no problems. My last iPad was the Air and now I have the Pro 9.7 (Which is awesome for graphics programs).
-Mainly Sketch Club, but I reproduce the same disappearing stroke in Procreate and even Apples own Note. No solution from Apple.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am using one model that's one generation older than the Air 2 and another that's one generation newer, but it doesn't sound right that there is something unique to the iPad Air 2 prevents it from doing graphics properly.

Have you gone in to an Apple store and demonstrated your problem? Have you tried another Air 2 to see if it's unique to the whole production line, or if it only happens on the one you own? It could be that you have a fault in the touch screen.

If Apple can't solve the problem, I would ask for a refund on that basis.

Most reactions

Latest posts