iPad 4.2 OS Coming in November

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by iDan, Sep 3, 2010.

1. iDan

iDan
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

We are nearly two months away from a major OS update that should make your iPad feel brand new again. Apple has posted a new informational page reminding us of all the features this upgrade will bring. The scheduled release is November and the wait will be worth it. Here's a quick run down for those that might have missed it:

• Multitasking: Run all your favorite apps — and switch between them instantly — without slowing down the performance of the foreground app or draining the battery unnecessarily.2
    • Folders: Organize apps into folders with drag-and-drop simplicity. Get faster access to your favorites and browse and manage thousands of apps.
    • Printing: Print mail, photos, web pages, and more directly to a printer on a wireless network.
    • Air Play: Wirelessly stream videos, music, and photos from iPad to the new Apple TV, and stream music to AirPlay speakers or receivers, including AirPort Express.
    • Game Center: Experience social gaming on your iPad. Find friends or use auto-match to play multiplayer games against new opponents. Track achievements and compare high scores.
    • Even better mail: See messages from all your accounts in a unified inbox, organize messages by threads, and open attachments in third-party apps.
    • Find text on web pages: In Safari, easily find and highlight specific words and phrases on large web pages.
    • Enhanced enterprise support: Businesses can take advantage of stronger security features, new device management capabilities, and improved enterprise integration.
    • Accessibility enhancements: Control VoiceOver using a wireless keyboard. Output in braille to over 30 supported wireless Bluetooth refreshable braille displays in more than 25 languages.
    • Keyboard and dictionary enhancements: Choose from more than 30 new keyboards and dictionaries, including Arabic, Greek, and Hebrew.
    Source: Apple - iPad - iOS 4.2 Software Update coming in November

2. Irrational

Irrational
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I hope they also use this upgrade to fix VGA out issues such as mirror the video on the iPad and allow any app to output to a projector. In fact, why not be able to direct the entire iPad image to the projector as I can with my netbook? As a teacher, not having these features really limits how I can use the iPad in the classroom.

3. tobriant

tobriant
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    All good stuff. I wish they would add handwriting recognition.

4. josiahS

josiahS
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Can't wait for Multitasking. ..it should have been on 4.0

5. ipadfanatic

ipadfanatic
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I believe it was on 4.0 which launched with iPhone 4. The iPad is still on iOS 3.2.2

6. fenderprowler

fenderprowler
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I hope this new Firmware has a Jailbreak! I will update to this Firmware when a Jailbreak is ready for it, otherwise not!

7. Tinman

Tinman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    It definitely was on the iPhone 4, and also the 3GS when 4.0 came out.

Michael

8. john

john
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
  9. wingnut1

wingnut1
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    November, that's great. Why not next week?

10. NumbLock

NumbLock
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    November can't come soon enough.