What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 3G / WiFi Help

Dave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am the proud owner of a 64GB Ipad Wifi + 3G. I have had no problems with it until today. Even Slingbox works great and the 3G is pretty zippy in New York City. Here is my problem.

I have been using my home network while at home. I downloaded Air Stream HD. It worked fine. Now for some reason I am unable to connect to my home network. Even if the box is checked next to it, only the 3G icon is highlighted. I tried the "forget network" and reinstalled it. It still won't go back and log onto my home network.

Any thoughts?

Dave...

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you try rebooting your router/modem? Might be a problem on it's end, with the DHCP renewing when the iPad trys to reconnect.

Gremlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello fellow Brooklynite

I so far I do not have any problems connecting my iPad 3G to my wifi, however both my nephew and my brother did have problems connecting. If you go to settings and turn WiFi off and on again you should be reconnected. This is not a permanent solution but it should get you up and going again.

Last edited:

john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
Hey, have you tried reboot's all around? Router/Ipad, anything else... microwave, stand on your head then turn it all back on. See if that helps. Also, I think apple has recommended as part of troubleshooting, that people rename their router, in case there are nearby networks with the same SSID next updating the router firm ware and changing the encryption. I've had troubles with WEPa before in different applications.

All worth trying out. I hope you get it resolved, technology is no fun when it’s not working.

-John

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
The issue is that the iPad doesn't renew it's ip address while it sleeps. So the ip may expire but the ip continues to use the old ip.

This happens if you have a dual band wireless router. When your done using wifi you should manually turn it off instead of just putting the iPad to sleep.

Apple should hopefully fix this with the next firmware update.

john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
As Mike said above, the problem happens with some akward events collide, see you're just lucky! When the screen locks before the IP address is about to renew. You could configure your DHCP to have a longer lease time on IP addresses OR assign your device its own static IP.

Hope this helps!

Jad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wifi greyed out (disabled)

hello
my ipad 3g 64gb worked fine for 24 hours
after that wifi didn't succeed in finding any ap, afterwards,.....

wifi grayed out, i am not being able to turn it on or off and i believe the machine is no longer a believer that it has a built in wifi!!

done all resets, powering offs, soft and hard, restoring,....

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hello
my ipad 3g 64gb worked fine for 24 hours
after that wifi didn't succeed in finding any ap, afterwards,.....

wifi grayed out, i am not being able to turn it on or off and i believe the machine is no longer a believer that it has a built in wifi!!

done all resets, powering offs, soft and hard, restoring,....

It sounds like they're working on a SW fix for this bug. In the meanwhile, here are some tips from Apple:

iPad: Issues connecting to Wi-Fi networks

Jad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi-less

The problem my friend is my iPad does no longer have a wifi
I don't have a weak wifi reception!!
I am not being able to switch it on or off, that what makes me worried as it didn't happen at once
First wifi is great
Then wifi is weak
Then wifi does not find anything
Then no wifi
I don't think it's software

medit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to role out iPads for doctors in my hospital. Dr has iPad with 3G+WiFi. I have iPad with WiFi only. My iPad has been working fine for 2 weeks. Dr's iPad worked well for first 3 days but hasn't been able to stay connected to WiFi since. I can stand right next to him and get WiFi connection. When he tries, he gets connected for about 7 seconds but then the searching icon appears and he is kicked off. The only difference between our two iPads is he has 3G and a bunch of downloaded apps (don't think the apps have anything to do with it). I have updated firmware on all routers but can't reset to factory defaults because that would disable devices used to actively monitor patients.
Any ideas?

Most reactions

Latest posts