What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.e WiFi FAIL

iwhalperin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 3g that I've been using for the last several months. Both its 3G and WiFi have functioned flawlessly.

I loaded 4.2 this afternoon. 3G is working flawlessly (thank G-D) but WiFi is "toes up". Once activated WiFi sees our network. It is able to log-on but it is not admitted to our network. Checking Settings-WiFi-On and selecting SheilaNet and then after the WiFi symbol appears on the device (in its usual place) and then ciicking on SheilaNet shows an IP Address of 169.254.159.250. Our network is 192.168.1.nnn. My treasured iPad is unable to connect to the Internet.

All of our various Windows devices (phones and laptops) are able to log in the SheilaNet.

I am flummoxed by this problem and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you!

Ivan

w1ngman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By 'our network', I'm assuming you mean your personal, home network? Are you in the position to restart/power cycle your wireless router? If so, try doing that and then try to reconnect your iPad to your network again. I can't say this will prove successful, but I've had need/success with recycling my home's wireless router on occasion.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, go into settings and tell it to forget that network, and then, set it up again. You could also tell it to renew the lease. It's giving itself an address instead of getting the address from the router.

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have a couple of problems since updrading to the new OS. My GPS has me in Vera Cruz no matter how I try to change the position,the GPS is in Manual and wont change to 3G or Wi-fi, and the then Map Quest will not expand,it remains the size of a postage stamp,the same with AAA Trip Tik. Any idea anyone.

Thanks, Al

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since posting the above problems I have worked out the problems with Map Quest and Trip Tic but still have problems with Motion X GPS,looks like I'm not getting any signal from the Satellites.

Al

drosenth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, go into settings and tell it to forget that network, and then, set it up again. You could also tell it to renew the lease. It's giving itself an address instead of getting the address from the router.

Forgetting the network helped me with a connection issue under the 4.2gm version so definitely give it a try.

hdunnigan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
This is good advice. The problem appears to lie in the iPad and not the home network.

Balthasar

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I’ve been happily using my home wireless network for a couple of months and suddenly I get a message “Unable to connect to the network†I’ve searched the forum and tried several solutions to no avail including re booting the modem (x3), and resetting the iPad.
In settings – Wi-Fi, under “Choose a Network†it shows my “default†home network with a pad lock and a full strength signal. When I ‘click’ on it, I am asked for a password. I have tried the network key, and my iPad password but I get the message “Unable to connect to the network default†then Dismiss.
Dummy that I am, I do not know how to tell it to forget that network nor how to renew the lease.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tap on the little blue arrow to the right of where you see your network name and the lock icon. Tap on "Forget this Network" at top of screen. "Renew lease" is at the bottom of that page if you want to try that first. I would just "forget this network" and reset up you password/phrase, rather than "Renew lease" under the circumstance.

Balthasar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tap on the little blue arrow to the right of where you see your network name and the lock icon. Tap on "Forget this Network" at top of screen. "Renew lease" is at the bottom of that page if you want to try that first. I would just "forget this network" and reset up you password/phrase, rather than "Renew lease" under the circumstance.
Thanks Pocobear but when I tap in that little blue arrow I dont get the 'Forget this network' or 'renew lease'. I get an empty box with IP Address
DHCP BootP Static etc

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you don't have "Forget this Network" in a white box at the top of the page, you've got more serious problems. Time to try a soft-reset. Press the HOME and SLEEP buttons until the Apple icon appears, then release the buttons and wait for it to reboot.
Now, if you still don't have "Forget this Network", it may be time for a restore.

Keep in mind I am using iOS 3.2.2, not iOS 4.2.1. I haven't seen or heard of that screeen changing with the upgrade.

iWags

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HELP...I am having a very similar issue.
Until yesterday, everything was perfect with the iOS update.
Now, I have to soft reboot to get connected to WIFI. It works good for about 5 minutes, then loses connection and goes to 3G.
I get the pop up asking to join network, and asking for password.
Then it says can not connect. I am going to try and do a restore and see it that fixes the issues. I hate to do it, but this is very frustrating.
No issues with iPhone4, it stays connected all the time. Apple TV and MAC and PC are all connected no problem too. So it MUST be the iPad.

Any suggestions other than the restore? I tried the "forget network" and it still doesn't work.

zzeng0502

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have exactly the same problem, I even tried restored back to 3.2.2 the wifi connect went back to normal. Now I tried the upgrade again, the wifi went very slow again, sometimes just lost connection. I tried everything, forget the network, restart router etc just didn't work. It's like the wifi is totally jammed. I had no choice now I have downgraded it back to 3.2.2, connect is perfect now. I don't know when would this problem be solved, untill then I can't use 4.2 , the connection is just unbearable.

iWags

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This sounds crazy, but try turning your screen brightness down a little. I had mine the brightest possible, turned it down a little and have stayed connected to WIFI for the past 4 hours. I did not do a restore. Hopefully it will last and this was the fix. I came across this fix will surfing around the net. Really odd...but it seems to work!

Give it a try!

Most reactions

Latest posts