iOS 4.e WiFi FAIL

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by iwhalperin, Nov 23, 2010.

1. iwhalperin

iwhalperin
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have an iPad 3g that I've been using for the last several months. Both its 3G and WiFi have functioned flawlessly.

I loaded 4.2 this afternoon. 3G is working flawlessly (thank G-D) but WiFi is "toes up". Once activated WiFi sees our network. It is able to log-on but it is not admitted to our network. Checking Settings-WiFi-On and selecting SheilaNet and then after the WiFi symbol appears on the device (in its usual place) and then ciicking on SheilaNet shows an IP Address of 169.254.159.250. Our network is 192.168.1.nnn. My treasured iPad is unable to connect to the Internet.

All of our various Windows devices (phones and laptops) are able to log in the SheilaNet.

I am flummoxed by this problem and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you!

Ivan

2. w1ngman

w1ngman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    By 'our network', I'm assuming you mean your personal, home network? Are you in the position to restart/power cycle your wireless router? If so, try doing that and then try to reconnect your iPad to your network again. I can't say this will prove successful, but I've had need/success with recycling my home's wireless router on occasion.

3. Pocobear

Pocobear
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Also, go into settings and tell it to forget that network, and then, set it up again. You could also tell it to renew the lease. It's giving itself an address instead of getting the address from the router.

4. Al Rogers

Al Rogers
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    i have a couple of problems since updrading to the new OS. My GPS has me in Vera Cruz no matter how I try to change the position,the GPS is in Manual and wont change to 3G or Wi-fi, and the then Map Quest will not expand,it remains the size of a postage stamp,the same with AAA Trip Tik. Any idea anyone.

Thanks, Al

5. Al Rogers

Al Rogers
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Since posting the above problems I have worked out the problems with Map Quest and Trip Tic but still have problems with Motion X GPS,looks like I'm not getting any signal from the Satellites.

Al

6. drosenth

drosenth
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Forgetting the network helped me with a connection issue under the 4.2gm version so definitely give it a try.

7. hdunnigan

hdunnigan
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    This is good advice. The problem appears to lie in the iPad and not the home network.

8. Balthasar

Balthasar
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I’ve been happily using my home wireless network for a couple of months and suddenly I get a message “Unable to connect to the network†I’ve searched the forum and tried several solutions to no avail including re booting the modem (x3), and resetting the iPad.
    In settings – Wi-Fi, under “Choose a Network†it shows my “default†home network with a pad lock and a full strength signal. When I ‘click’ on it, I am asked for a password. I have tried the network key, and my iPad password but I get the message “Unable to connect to the network default†then Dismiss.
    Dummy that I am, I do not know how to tell it to forget that network nor how to renew the lease.

9. Pocobear

Pocobear
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Tap on the little blue arrow to the right of where you see your network name and the lock icon. Tap on "Forget this Network" at top of screen. "Renew lease" is at the bottom of that page if you want to try that first. I would just "forget this network" and reset up you password/phrase, rather than "Renew lease" under the circumstance.

10. Superbike81

Superbike81
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Upgraded to 4.2 today, no problems with Wi-Fi whatsoever.