What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 3, 4 and 5! Someone please explain

dmlaty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I must be missing something here, please forgive me if this is a dumb question but I thought we had ipad 1, iPad 2 and most recently "the new iPad"
But on the forum I see constant references to iPad 3, iPad 4 and iPad 5! Help!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
dmlaty said:
I must be missing something here, please forgive me if this is a dumb question but I thought we had ipad 1, iPad 2 and most recently "the new iPad"
But on the forum I see constant references to iPad 3, iPad 4 and iPad 5! Help!

The New iPad is what Apple called the iPad 3. The iPad 4 is the replacement for the iPad 3, and was announced a few days ago. It is available for pre-order. The iPad 5 is a not yet existent speculated replacement for the iPad 4.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
On October 23, 2012, Apple announced a new iPad (the next generation, iPad 4 ... whatever it's called). As a result, the original new iPad (the iPad3) is no longer offered for sale by Apple. You can only get the iPad3 from third party vendors or as new.

So, technically, we have the iPad1, the iPad2 and the iPad4. There is no iPad 5 (unless people are speculating on what is coming in the future).

As a side note, Apple no longer refers to iPads numerically - unless they are talking about the iPad2. That is the only one with a number. For the others, Apple just calls them "iPads."

There, clear as mud! :) Regardless, hope this helps clarify.

Marilyn

OP
D

dmlaty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is the iPad 4 the mini iPad? Or is that different altogether?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dmlaty said:

Hello dmlaty, perhaps a picture will help? The iPad Mini is a different product. If you go to Apple.com, you'll find this picture. These are the three iPad models currently for sale by Apple. It is their iPad product line. Note prices quoted are US$.

Attachments

• image-2323168283.jpg
    image-2323168283.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 239

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
dmlaty said:

The iPad mini has a 7.5" screen, the iPad 4 and all other iPads has a 9.75" screen. They are two different devices that were both released on October 23rd.

OP
D

dmlaty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thanks everyone, now I see how it works. So I bought recently "the new iPad" which in theory is iPad 3 but not officially named iPad 3.

Is there much new on the iPad 4 from the one I have?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
dmlaty said:
Ok thanks everyone, now I see how it works. So I bought recently "the new iPad" which in theory is iPad 3 but not officially named iPad 3.

Is there much new on the iPad 4 from the one I have?

It has an upgraded FaceTime camera, with 1.3 megapixels vs the old one at 0.3 megapixels. It has the faster A6X processor and the new lightning connector, introduced on the iPhone 5.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Anything newer than the iPad 2 Apple refers to by generation.

iPad 1
iPad 2
iPad 3rd generation
iPad 4th generation

Then the new

iPad Mini, which is likely to be called the 1st generation when the new line of devices is updated.

This is more inline with how Apple has referred to its Mac and iPod line for quite a while. I'm guessing (and it is a guess) that the iPhone line will continue to receive number and letter designations, unless they split the line like they have with their other products.

Makes me suspect (in hindsight of course) that Apple had already decided to produce an iPad Mini when they announced the 3rd gen iPad, and that's why the naming convention changed with that model.

Most reactions

Latest posts