What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 2 update not working

traceykate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried to update the ipad 2 to the new version but it goes so far .but then tells me there was a problem and to check the internet and connection to the ipad but there is nothing wrong with either of the connections. I look at the settings and it still says the 4 point .... version is still on the ipad 2, what am i doing wrong ???? can anybody help me please.

Cheers Tracey xx:(

OP
traceykate

traceykate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all

Very unhappy bunny here.... :( have tried umpteen times to update my iPad 2 to the iOS 5 but to no avail. It looks like it has done it as there is no error message but when I go to look at the version in the settings it's stil says 4......
I have tried your suggestions, thank u by the way but alas no.. Any more good ideas from you guys would be a great help. Total iPad novice still not worked out the print n share lol... X

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So, here is what is supposed to happen. Tell me where things go wrong.

You plug the iPad in. It either tells you an update is available, or you click on the Update button on the Summary page and it tells you it is available.

You choose Download Only (I hope) and go on your merry way until it finishes.

Plug the iPad back in, and if it does not prompt you with an update available, you again click the Update button.

You have to confirm that you wan to do the update.

The iPad prepares for a backup, then does a backup. Takes a while.

When it is done it loads the firmware, Installs the firmware, then reboots the iPad. There will be various progress statuses on both the iPad and in iTunes.

After the reboot, when the iPad reappears in iTunes it should automatically Restore from Backup. When that is done the iPad reboots again.

Again, when the iPad reconnects with iTunes it should do a sync.

When the sync is doen, the upgrade is done.

Now, at what point did things not go this way.

OP
traceykate

traceykate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah I thought that I had to download and have it update in one go I didn't realise that I need to just download then sync it, what a dope lol. Thank you very much again bless u for putting up with me :eek: lol. I will give that a go 2morro now as it's 2 am just Just gone.
Prob speak to u 2morrow.
Thnks sweet goodnight godless xx

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can do it all in one shot, but like I said in the linked thread, it's not as reliable, especially if your internet connection is less than perfect.

Last edited:
OP
traceykate

traceykate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried doing it the way you said but it still never done it so now i am trying it with the ethernet cable plugged staright into the back of the bt hub. So fingers crossed bit i very much doubt it.. Any other ides after that hun ???
thank you xx

well some time later ......

It still didn't work grrrrr, it tell me that the internet connection timed out but i used the ethernet cable so it should'nt have at all. I also tried it with download and sync but to no avail oh my god how the hell do i do it lol.
Here's hoping you can tell this idiot how to do it lol. I will try again tomorrow give it a rest for today.
Thank you xx

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So you are not getting as far as finishing the download?

Try turning off your firewall and/or anti-virus. I should have mentioned that earlier. Don't forget to turn it back on later.

OP
traceykate

traceykate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well some more time later .... a lot more time later and a lot more try's later, with more time later.

IT DID IT !!!!!!!!! lol all done thank you so much for all your help guys could'nt have done it without you. Your all worth your weight in gold bless you.

Thanks guys xxxx:D :D :D :D :thumbs:

Last edited:

msgriff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello! I have not been able to update to IOS 5, wann'a know why??? Because my iTunes doesn't recognize my iPhone (3Gs) nor my NEW, less than a month old iPad 2. Before the August 2011 update iTunes worked great, since then, I haven't been able to backup nor upgrade. I was in the Apple store hours, trying to get both to sync with iTunes. The young man finally gave up and told me to wait and see if the new update would help..sighs deeply...didn't help. I have gone through all of the steps to no avail. Could someone please take up my cause and help me...lol? Did I mention I am using a PC and that I am a super NOVICE with this really cool techie stuff...haha?

Thanks,
Cynthia

OP
traceykate

traceykate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Cynthia

My iPad would not update either until I went and turned off my firewalls and antivirus on the computer and then it did it.
Hope this works for you.

Tracey x

msgriff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I will try this now. Sigh....still didn't work. I can't seem to get past the Window could not start the Apple Mobile Device on Local Computer. Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly message.

Cynthia

OP
traceykate

traceykate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Cynthia

What I done was connected my iPad to my wireless hub with the Ethernet cable and just kept trying, I turned of all my anti virus and all my firewalls and it finally did it so I think that's what was stopping me doing it last time.. I hope this helps some what. Do not forget to turn back on all firewall and anti virus ok Hun.
Tracey x

Most reactions

Latest posts