What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 has just deleted my emails infront of my eyes!!

briandarm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In using the mail app that comes with the ipad2, I've lost tons of emails for tracking my online purchases. It's done this twice now. I put them in a folder. Then I go into the folder to verify information and it deletes the emails right before my eyes. And when I go to my computer the emails are deleted as well. Does anyone know what the heck is going on? That's like, retarded. I can't have that happen again! Its not automatic sorting, it's not automatic deleting either. I've checked.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Check your trash and junk mail folders on both the computer and online at your provider's web site. If you can figure out where the emails are going, then you'll have a better idea of what is happening.

I don't know of any email provider/client that lets you delete an email until it's been in one of those two folders first; so they should be somewhere on the server.

Also, what kind of account do you have (IMAP, Exchange), with what provider? Knowing that would help narrow down what could happen.

OP
B

briandarm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's with yahoo mail. I'm going to look in the trash folders on my computer like you said.

OP
B

briandarm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I checked all my folders and no luck with finding the disappearing emails. I think yahoo literally erased them. :(. That sucks.

brettp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
briandarm said:
I checked all my folders and no luck with finding the disappearing emails. I think yahoo literally erased them. :(. That sucks.

I have exactly the same problem using Yahoo.Move messages into folders and BOOM they are gone.They are not in trash

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I thought it over, and this is all I can come up with. The default Draft, Sent, and Trash folders for Yahoo are local (last time I checked). These means that when you move a email from one of these folders to one that is on the server it must be copied (sent) to the server.

Perhaps the emails are just taking longer to get there, or being lost in route. No idea.

What you can do is change these default folder locations to the sever. That means instead of being transmitted over your internet connection it will only need to change what folder the file is in. Much faster, and once the command it passed, all done on Yahoo's server.

Open your Yahoo account under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars; and follow the quick guide to change the Draft, Sent, and Trash folders to the server, or at least check that they are there. This is how I've got things set up. I did a quick trial with eight emails and moved them several times without losing one.

SetYahooFolders.jpg

Last edited:
OP
B

briandarm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doggone it! I checked and made sure like you said. But it happened again. I tried twice on two different folders to be sure. It seems like the emails that I put into folders from my ipad2 are the ones being erased and thrown away into the black hole. As soon as I go to look into the folders to see emails I filed there it starts deleting them 1 by 1 really fast in front of my eyes. I have to hurry to get out of the folder so that it stops! If I take an email already in a folder and move it around it seems to be fine. Just the ones I checked from my Ipad2 and placed into the folders by my Ipad2 get erased. I'm going to check it on my gmail account and hotmail too.

OP
B

briandarm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep. It's just Yahoo. Lol. My gmail and hotmail ones work great. Yahoo is deleting my stuff!!!! AAAHHHH!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try going to Yahoo's webmail in a computer browser and check all the Mail Options. Pay close attention to the Spam and Filter's options.

Also, on the iPad in in Yahoo's Advanced settings, try turning the Remove setting to Never and see if that makes a difference.

That's all I can think of for now.

medoffice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just bought an IPad 2 and I'm having the same problem with emails being deleted from my inbox and disappearing into the ether, but they are still on my computer. I'm not with Yahoo and I wonder whether there is something on the IPad itself that I need to re-set?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It depends a lot on your account type (POP3, IMAP, or Exchange), and how you have them setup on the computer and iPad.

Without knowing that it's hard to guess what is going on. Who is your email provider?

medoffice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I may have found a solution by accident. I tried using my IPad for a while in the same room as my computer and since then I haven't lost any emails from the IPad even though I have since been using it in a different room on a different floor. I wonder whether I have established a better connection, which the Ipad has retained, and it therefore keeps the emails rather than deleting them. I'll let you know if the IPad plays up again

medoffice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I (or my local Apple Store!) may have found the solution to my problem. When I took the iPad back and said they could give me a refund unless they could sort the problem they spent 45 mins checking all the settings and realised they had set it up as an IMAP account. They switched it to a POP account and for the last two days I haven't had any problems. In the meantime, I asked my ISP about IMAP accounts only to be told that IMAP isn't compatible with their servers. I'll let you know if there are any more problems but I hope this helps

Most reactions

Latest posts