What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 gps problems:(

jrp95

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.freethegadget.com
Hi I just got the iPad 2 a couple of hours ago and tried several apps that utilize the gps on iPad. The find my iPad app can't find my location nor can another app. Please help!

Thanks,
Joel Pederson

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I just got the iPad 2 a couple of hours ago and tried several apps that utilize the gps on iPad. The find my iPad app can't find my location nor can another app. Please help!

Thanks,
Joel Pederson

Is your iPad2 a 3G or a WiFi model?

Only the 3G iPad has GPS because that function is built into the 3G chip in the iPad.

But, there are third-party add-ons that will give you GPS on a WiFi iPad.

Tim
Scotland

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the wifi versian the apps say they want to acess my location but they can't

Bad news and good news...

Bad news first - No - the WiFi version doesn't support GPS because, as I said, the GPS functionality is on the 3G chipset. This is because GPS and 3G have similar radio frequency components, so it makes sense for them to share.

Good news - your iPad can get location from WiFi. If you're 'out and about' local hotspots should already be registered and the iPad will be able to work out where it is - not as accurately as GPS (Forum members report up to a half-block error) but not too bad.

If you want to use location based services - maps etc or other apps that need location information - at home you can register the location of your WiFi with the service that the iPad gets its WiFi positional information from. Other Forum members have done this and it works just fine.

Have a look here

Skyhook: How It Works > Submit Wi-Fi AP

Let me know if you have any further problems

Tim
Scotland

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are 3 different exterinal GPS units that work with apple products (that includes the ipad).

Bad-Elf WAAS Gps receiver that plugs in to the bottom of the ipad, is power by the Ipad battery.

GNS 5870 None WAAS Gps receiver that connect by blue tooth. Many pilots have this unit for their Ipad and flight software.

XGPS 150 I just heard about this one yesterday, It's WAAS, connects by blue tooth, has a 8.5 hour battery life, and comes with a couple of nice mounting options. It's have gotten some great reviews from the boaters, and pilots are review it right now. Note this unit also works with none apple products as well.

All of them can be found on amazon.com for 100.00 plus shipping. I plan on getting a XGPS 150

Thehamguy1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great tip about Skyhook. Submitted corrected location in just a minute or two. Previously my location was in a neighbor's back garden a block away...

Besides the great tips and workarounds, I like this forum because most everyone is polite. One forum I used to frequent seemed almost at gunpoint member-to-member. I learned quickly to stop asking questions or trying to help.

DavidKingsland

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had no idea there was no GPS in the wifi iPad. I was using my iPhone as a personal bluetooth hotspot, so it was in my pocket. Even so the iPad location app showed a horizontal error of up to 300 feet. The iPhone running the same app had a 30 foot error.

Should I be able to get the GPS position from the iPhone in this way?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DavidKingsland said:
Thanks Tim. I can't believed I missed the fact that only 3G versions have GPS. I just ordered a Bad Elf GPS so I can navigate on water.

You might want to get yourself a boat as well though.......just sayin'

The Archangel

verwon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DavidKingsland said:
Thanks Tim. I can't believed I missed the fact that only 3G versions have GPS. I just ordered a Bad Elf GPS so I can navigate on water.

You might want to get yourself a boat as well though.......just sayin'

The Archangel

ROFL!

My wifi iPad isn't too far off if I check the location. It puts me out by the pool, which is about 100 feet away.

Mistress of Mischief

Afterneuxn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have heard from a lot of different forums that GPS is not supported on the iPad. I've had my wifi only iPad 2 for about 2 months and the GPS on it has always worked fine with no changes or additions by me of the kind suggested in this forum. Then all of the sudden like a week ago the location services stopped working, using the same wifi networks in the same places where it was working before. So I have a hard time understanding when people say the wifi only iPad doesn't support gps.

What do you guys think?

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have heard from a lot of different forums that GPS is not supported on the iPad. I've had my wifi only iPad 2 for about 2 months and the GPS on it has always worked fine with no changes or additions by me of the kind suggested in this forum. Then all of the sudden like a week ago the location services stopped working, using the same wifi networks in the same places where it was working before. So I have a hard time understanding when people say the wifi only iPad doesn't support gps.

What do you guys think?

If you have a WiFi only Ipad then the only way that it knows where you are is to read the WiFi hotspots in your area and triangulate your location. If you are in a large metro area this will work good. However once you are no longer near hotspots then the Ipad will not be able to tell where you are.

If you have a 3G Ipad which includes the GPS receiver, then your Ipad will pick up GPS signals from the satellites in space and it will know where you are no matter where you are.

So to sum it up WiFi only Ipads know where they are by other WiFi hotspots. 3G Ipads can figure out where they are by using US military GPS satellites.

Afterneuxn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Rudy. Any idea why the location services stopped working using the same wifi networks in the same areas as before? From what you are saying I don't understand why that would happen.

Most reactions