What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 and Youtube

Jazztime

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to iPad. Observing a strange behavior - YouTube videos do not appear to be buffering as they should. If I can see how the playback progress bar catches up and gets ahead of buffering progress bar. iPad is connected to the same wifi network as my PC, Mac, iPhone. None of other devices exhibit this behavior with You Tube. Ok, iPhone has a smaller screen, but PC and Mac don't. Furthermore, even though iPad staggers with You Tube, it has no issues streaming a full movie from Netflix. I searched all forums but found references to connectivity issues only, which I think I can rule out, because of the fact that my other devices don't have this issue and that iPad does not have an issue streaming other content. The symptoms appear to be persisting on iPad+You Tube
Any ideas anyone ?

Mikeharrisbsc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, same thing here. My internet is reliably decent, and is working well with all other apps and on my PC and Mac. The only problem is YouTube. Hopefully it's just a small issue they can rectify in an app update!

madcapjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I notice this off and on. 2 nights ago it was unusable it was so slow, yesterday worked fine. It doesn't happen with any device other than the iPad, and only on YouTube.

Kin Lau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tested streaming full hd clips from YouTube on your pc/Mac ? The iPad defaults to the highest quality, the web version defaults to the lowest quality.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
X2 here with same issues. I've also noticed that the UTube audio slide does work well, anyone else see this?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Two useful YouTube apps are Video Hunters and Showyou. Both recommended.

Mikeharrisbsc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kin Lau said:
Have you tested streaming full hd clips from YouTube on your pc/Mac ? The iPad defaults to the highest quality, the web version defaults to the lowest quality.

How do you change the quality settings? I can't find it in the iPad settings, nor in the YouTube app!

TC93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think a lot of the buffering youtube problems are due to YouTube/google itself. It does the same thing on my desktop, and certain times of the day it's worse. And its not my ISPs fault either, as other websites are plenty fast.

It can get extremely frustrating when it happens. Google needs to upgrade their servers in my opinion. I also hate the fact that YouTube gives you no way to contact them to complain about it.

Kin Lau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mikeharrisbsc said:
How do you change the quality settings? I can't find it in the iPad settings, nor in the YouTube app!

You cannot on the iPad app but you can if you go thru Safari.

madcapjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think a lot of the buffering youtube problems are due to YouTube/google itself. It does the same thing on my desktop, and certain times of the day it's worse. And its not my ISPs fault either, as other websites are plenty fast.

It can get extremely frustrating when it happens. Google needs to upgrade their servers in my opinion. I also hate the fact that YouTube gives you no way to contact them to complain about it.

Never experienced this on any desktop I've owned, regardless of time of day.

TC93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madcapjim said:
Never experienced this on any desktop I've owned, regardless of time of day.

Its the connection to YouTube or their servers, it has nothing to do with it being a desktop or not. Or in your case probably your wireless connection.

Most reactions

Latest posts