What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 1 won't sync to new iMac

ejcmgc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
am having trouble syncing my ipad 1 to a newly purchased iMac. have no had previous trouble syncing to my Dell PC.

yesterday I saw a message on iMAC that a new iTunes version 10.6.3 was out and by its description it looked like it was aimed at the kind of sync problem I was having. so I upgraded to it on the iMac easily enough. but sync still would not work. do I need to do a similar upgrade on the iPad 1? if so I have no idea how to do that; or even determine what version of iTunes I have now. when I opened the iTunes program on the iPad it promptly crashed so I had no way to dig further into it to learn more etc etc etc.

appreciate anyone's guidance. thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
am having trouble syncing my ipad 1 to a newly purchased iMac. have no had previous trouble syncing to my Dell PC.

yesterday I saw a message on iMAC that a new iTunes version 10.6.3 was out and by its description it looked like it was aimed at the kind of sync problem I was having. so I upgraded to it on the iMac easily enough. but sync still would not work. do I need to do a similar upgrade on the iPad 1? if so I have no idea how to do that; or even determine what version of iTunes I have now. when I opened the iTunes program on the iPad it promptly crashed so I had no way to dig further into it to learn more etc etc etc.

appreciate anyone's guidance. thanks.

No, you don't need to do anything to the iPad's iTunes version. That app is just there to make it easier for you to go to the Apple store (virtually, of course) and buy songs and movies. it's not a management tool like the iTunes on your iMac.

However, the crashing of the iPad when you open iTunes (or is it any app?) cause some concern. Have you done a restart or a reset of that iPad1 in a while? If no, it may be time to do either so that the iPad gets, well, reset. Holler back if you need help on doing that process.

No, for the iPad not syncing to the iMac, do you get an error code? In other words, what are you trying to do that causes you to determine that you are having a syncing problem.

The more info we can get on what is happening during your not sync up issue - the better we can help. Well, actually, the better someone else can help ... I don't have an Apple computer and so really wouldn't know. :) However and hopefully, someone will be along shortly who does know and CAN help.

Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
E

ejcmgc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply Marilyn. to begin with I have never reset my iPad. is that the same as "restore"? The iPad has generally run great and I'm reluctant to reset/restore for fear of losing content such as apps etc etc. is that a risk?
if not what's the easiest way to do it and I'll try it now.

by the way I do not get an error code when syncing. what I get is a message that "sync is waiting to start, step 1 of 6" . nothing happens for a while and I eventually get a message that sync has failed to start. i didn't notice an error code but i may have missed it.

OP
E

ejcmgc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did a restart not reset and tried syncing again. it failed again. no error code given, only a message that syncing failed to start. still reluctant to reset not knowing what I may lose.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A reset is, essentially, a reboot (it's the term Apple uses). It won't affect anything on the iPad - you won't lose any apps, data or settings. A restore is different as that's where you put a "fresh" version of the iOS on the iPad (and yes, you'd lose stuff with a restore unless you did a backup first). To do a reset:

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

Since you've tried the restart (turned it off ... turned it back on), maybe this'll help...?

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts