IPad 1 - iOS 5 - Safari Crashing

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by RAC, Nov 10, 2011.

1. RAC

RAC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Safari seemed stable until I upgraded to iOS 5. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

2. richsadams

richsadams
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    There are a number of threads about some apps becoming unstable (including Safari) after upgrading to iOS 5. My advice would be to go ahead and upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 today and see if things improve. If not, try some of these tips that have resolved it for others...

Quit Apps: To quit an app double press the Home button and the Multitasking Tray will appear at the bottom of the screen revealing all of the open apps. Tap and hold any app icon until all of the icons start jiggling. A red circle with a "-" (minus sign) will appear in the upper left-hand corner of each icon. Tap the red circle and the app will close.

Restart the iPad: Press and hold down the Sleep/wake switch on the top edge of the iPad for few seconds until the red slider appears, slide this across to shut the iPad down. Restart the iPad by pressing the Sleep/wake switch until the Apple logo appears.

Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake switch on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again. More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

3. RAC

RAC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, I have tried the first two fixes but not a total reset yet. I will give that a try.

4. hsobel

hsobel
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Worked for me.

5. RAC

RAC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Well, I have tried everything that has been suggested and Safari still crashes regularly.

I had lost a few posts while accessing this forum from Safari. Time to use TapaTalk perhaps?

6. richsadams

richsadams
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear that. Did you try restoring your iPad to factory specs? That's about the last thing you can do to get back to square one. Kind of a pain to set up email and other things again, but it certainly cleans things up.

Is there any reason you aren't using the iPadForums App? It's certainly easier than using Safari on the iPad.

App Store - Discussion Forum for iPad Users

7. RAC

RAC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    As you can see from the signature, I have started using TapaTalk, in this case from my shiny new Android phone but also from my iPad.

I am reluctant to reset the iPad, I rather use one of the forum Apps I think.

By the way, Android has a nifty cursor handle that lets you drag the cursor anywhere you want.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

#7 RAC, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  8. richsadams

richsadams
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Do you mean that you're reluctant to "reset" or "restore" your iPad. They are two very different things. If you haven't tried resetting your iPad, you should certainly try that. That's fixed almost all Safari and other app problems. You have nothing to lose or worry about. All data, apps, etc. remain intact.

Restoring involves wiping the iPad clean; returning it to factory condition. You can restore everything from a backup (made before bringing it back to factory specs) or start fresh by downloading apps again, etc. (always free).

If you haven't reset your iPad though...you should certainly give that a try.

Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake switch on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again. More here:

9. RAC

RAC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, I meant restore, I have tried a reset.

#9 RAC, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  10. richsadams

richsadams
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Got it. :thumbs: