What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IP/Network Printer

rmohan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is my delima.

I have an iPad that I want to use for work. I have Print N Share installed that I have used on my iPhone 4 and have now setup on my iPad. Works just fine as long as I'm connected to the same wireless network or 3g on my iPhone 4.

At my office we don't have a wireless network. Each cubicle has it's own wired connection to the network for internet and where you can tap into the office printer. I have setup my own wireless 'network' at my cubicle so that I can connect my iPad to the internet but I cannot seem to find a work around to connect to the printer. I have the printer IP address but it doesn't work through Print N Share, it says the printer is not on the same network. Which it isn't due to the wireless network I have created and obviously I can't directly connect to the office network. My iPad is not jailbroken if that matters.

Has anyone come across a work around or an app that may help my situation?

Thanks,
Roger

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
What is the IP address of your device? What is the IP address of your Printer? The first 3 octets need to match. xxx.xxx.xxx.???

Chances are you set up a Peer to Peer "wireless network" and not a WLAN network. It makes a difference. The issue, if your iPad will work with printers on other networks you can wirelessly connect to, is how you set up this "wireless network" at work. I would also check with your IT department and see if that is even legal in your company - for mine, it is a termination offense to set up a wireless router/access point. We do sweeps every week.

OP
R

rmohan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a total noob response but I'm not super techy.

1st, I'm a Realtor in a Real Estate office and it's ok to setup the wireless network. Not a big issue.

2nd, the printer IP address is not like my wireless network the printer looks like

xx.x.xx.xxx

My wireless looks like

xxx.xxx.x.x

Is it possible to reference my network and add the printer IP to help locate and if so what format would I try.

Thanks for the help!

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
The IP address needs to match. I am guessing you are getting an internal address (192.168.1.x) for your wireless and iPad. it has to match the internal network.

You would need a Wireless Access Point, not router. It cant be through your computer but must be connected and authorized through your existing router or switch in the office.

To be honest, you would really want someone to get out there hands-on to configure this, especially if you're not "techy." If your company has a consultant they call for computer issues, that would be the best route. While I have set these up before, it has always been hands-on.

Most reactions

Latest posts