What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS9

IndieP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am ready to purchase an iPad Air 2 but want the latest operating system which is iOS9. However, I am hearing of many problems others are having when updating to this version. I'm inclinded to believe that if the iPad I purchase already has iOS9 installed on it from the factory i.e.(Apple), their shouldn't be to many problems, am I correct in assuming this?

The second question I have is that I can get a better deal if I purchase the iPad Air 2 from a company that sells Apples products. Problem is that none of them have any for sale with iOS9 installed on them. Any idea when Apples products with iOS9 will be shipped to other vendors, or is this just a waiting game for the current stock with iOS8 to be sold before iOS9 products are shipped?
Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you get an iPad Air 2, you have the best iPad for running iOS 9, whether it's installed originally or not. Just update it immediately after activating and you risk losing nothing; even if you have to do the update more than once. Whether it was installed in the factory, or updated afterwards isn't going to make any real difference.

Pretty much everyone who is having significant problems with iOS 9 is running older iPads, mostly the iPad 2. Even then, most who install it are doing fine.

In other words, you're over thinking it. If you can get a better price for an iPad Air 2, it's worth the minor inconvenience of updating it. You're going to have to update it eventually anyway. Updates are always coming out.

Far more important is not getting the 16 GB version, which is what most third party sellers are giving deals on. The limited amount of storage is going to come back to bite you quickly. Unless you're never going to use the iPad for anything but browsing the web, answering email, and streaming media, it's a poor choice. You'll also want to think about having a cellular model. Hold in mind that it is the only model that has a GPS. A handy feature for many applications whether you have internet or not.

OP
I

IndieP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You made some good points, however, regarding the cellular model and GPS. Do you have to have data (cellular service) for this feature to be functional? I also have a Samsung Note 8 which has GPS and is usable wherever I go, (without having to have cellular or Wi-Fi service).

Regarding the "Split Screen" feature. Is that part of iOS9 or is it in any way built into the architecture of the newer iPad Air 2's. My point being, that if split screen is all software oriented i.e. (iOS9), it will come with the iOS9 update, but if it is the latter, I need to make sure I purchase the correct iPad to have this feature?

Also,
You have got me thinking about purchasing a cellular model, but I’d like a little more clarification as regards the option of Wi-Fi + 4G LTE vs Wi-Fi + Verizon.

I assume that the Wi-Fi + Verizon model means that your only choice for a carrier that will supply the cellular service would be Verizon, correct?

However, I could use a little more information on the Wi-Fi + 4G LTE model. I’ve looked on Apples site for more information on 4G LTE such as the carriers Apple allow to support this network? Does it mean the device is unlocked and I can use it with any network that supports 4G LTE? And, would the iPad Air 2 4G LTE model have a sim card slot etc.?
Thanks

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You do not need to have a data plan in order for the GPS to work, though it may work better if you do. AGPS (Assisted GPS) is what is in most phones and tablets these days. It can use the internet, along with cell tower and wi-fi network triangulation do increase speed and accuracy.

Split screen is an iOS 9 feature, but it is only supported on the newer iPads, due to hardware limitations. All iPad Air 2 models supports all of iOS 9's features, including split screen.

Hold in mind apps also have to include support for the feature. More and more third party apps are adding support each day.

OP
I

IndieP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about my last question, any thoughts?

( However, I could use a little more information on the Wi-Fi + 4G LTE model. I’ve looked on Apples site for more information on 4G LTE such as the carriers Apple allow to support this network? Does it mean the device is unlocked and I can use it with any network that supports 4G LTE? And, would the iPad Air 2 4G LTE model have a sim card slot etc.? )

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You must have added the "Also" right after I started reading.

Yes, iPads are unlocked. You can use them on any compatible network. The iPad Air 2 will work on pretty much every major network in the U.S. and most overseas networks. It's just a matter of installing a SIM in the user accessible slot.

You can buy them directly from Apple with an Apple SIM, which will let you set them up out of the box with one of several major carriers. I don't remember the exact details.

iPad Air 2 - Technical Specifications - Apple

OP
I

IndieP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for all of your input twerppoet, you have been a great help. I'll probably look to you again for an answer on a different problem LOL.

Most reactions

Latest posts