What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS8 renamed all my pdf's in iBooks!

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not liking the new iBooks at all. I store a vast amount of downloaded pdf's in iBooks which I've painstakingly catalogued and renamed in the previous version, and the new version in iOS8 has kindly gone and put all the original names back for me!
Oh goody!, now I've got one hell of a job to do it all again.
Many thanks Apple :mad:

iPAD@UVA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am hating it also.
I am no longer able to sort books into a order I want. Everything is forced into 4 sort orders with no editing allowed.
Built-in collections can't be edited so if Apple does not think a book belongs, you can't add it. Also, if you have a series of books that Apple does not recognize as a series, you can't create one for them.
The blue stripe background is just sad.
While they make these useless changes, they still do not have any way to view your "Wish List" from a iOS device. You have to use iTunes or OSX iBooks.
I really wish Apple and other companies would quit fixing things that are not broken and deciding for me how I want to do things.
Once again, it will take a year to get used to Apples new way of doing things just in time for them to decide on a new and "improved" way.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Same here. Great, isn't it ?

Strange the difficulty with title changes only seems to affect pdf's - some books I renamed are OK !

It strikes me that Apple are desperately trying to persuade users to download from te store - and most things are related to this.

Dear old Apple !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am hating it also.
I am no longer able to sort books into a order I want. Everything is forced into 4 sort orders with no editing allowed. . .

You can manually re-arrainge the Bookshelf view: available in every category except -All-.

Tap -Select-: Then either tap-drag in the bookshelf view, or drag the list view using the drag handle at the right of each item.

It would not make sense to be able to re-arainge the other views.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Same here. Great, isn't it ?

Strange the difficulty with title changes only seems to affect pdf's - some books I renamed are OK !

It strikes me that Apple are desperately trying to persuade users to download from te store - and most things are related to this.

Dear old Apple !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most likely the PDFs defaulted to the Title attribute of the PDF file. If the file doesn't contain a title attribute then it kept whatever you named it.

I don't think Apple is trying to discourage you from having PDF files in iBooks. After all, they could just remove the feature. There are a huge number of PDF readers in the App Store, several for free. It's not like they are under pressure to provide a necessary but missing app.

On the other hand, it is also obvious that they are going out of their way to make the iBooks Store more visible. No doubt this is to their benefit. On the other hand, how many times have I had to explain to a person where the iBooks Store was, and how to get to it? That, at least, is now solved.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
While they make these useless changes, they still do not have any way to view your "Wish List" from a iOS device. You have to use iTunes or OSX iBooks. . .

I've never understood why they don't do a better job of supporting the Wish List on iOS.

That said, I long ago started using Evernote to keep my wish lists. If you use Evernote, they've added an extension you can enable. Tap the share icon (box with up arrow), then slide over to the far right. Tap the (. . .) icon on the top row. Enable Evernote.

Now the Evernote extension is available anywhere in iOS where you have the standard share icon and the file/share type is compatible.

For the the iBooks store the note includes the title, a small book cover iimage, and a link to the iBookStore (redirected through Safari)

Ideal? No. But pretty nice for a cobbled together third party solution, and one that works a lot of places besides the iStores.

Matterplay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most likely the PDFs defaulted to the Title attribute of the PDF file. If the file doesn't contain a title attribute then it kept whatever you named it.

Is there any way to get these PDFs renamed? I have over a 1000 and doing the manually all over again would be a huge pain. Maybe like a recovery of old IOS 7 would help?

Thanks.

Peter Whitridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any way to get these PDFs renamed? I have over a 1000 and doing the manually all over again would be a huge pain. Maybe like a recovery of old IOS 7 would help?

Thanks.
Sorry I can't help, but I'm in exactly the same situation. Any ideas?

Markk2012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can manually re-arrainge the Bookshelf view: available in every category except -All-.

Tap -Select-: Then either tap-drag in the bookshelf view, or drag the list view using the drag handle at the right of each item.

It would not make sense to be able to re-arainge the other views.
It is quite necessary to be able to re-arrange PDF files in LIST view because the "book cover's" all look exactly alike when viewed in bookshelf.
I have bank records, downloaded as PDFs and renamed according to date. Unless I go through and rename them all, to titles that are sortable in ascending order, I have to search through them.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The best solution is to rename the PDFs on your Mac/PC backup, then sync. I think it's the only way the names will stick no matter what. Use a naming scheme that will sort the files alphabetically (e.g., YYYYMMDDwhatever).

Most reactions