What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari can't handle PDFs

60andRetired

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new here and am not sure if I should be starting a new thread - so please forgive if I should not have. I cannot do anything with a pdf which I have downloaded or otherwise received in Safari. If the pdf is open, for example, and I want to save it to iBooks, absolutely nothing happens when I hit "share". my list of options doesn't open and I am unable to send the pdf to any app or to printer, etc. I am running IOS 11.4.1, but this also happened with my previous IOS version. I REALLY need this function and have no idea what to do. Would very much appreciate any and all suggestions!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have occasionally had issues with the share sheet when attempting to save files. Restarting (powering off then on again) the iPad usually clears this up.

If I've misunderstood your issue please let me know, and add more details.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Forgot to comment that I am using an "iPad 5"

Well, seems like you have a 2017 iPad (circled below) which can be upgraded to iOS 12.2 - might help (or not?) - also, do you have problems w/ other PDFs downloaded from Safari or just this one that you want? If the latter and not a 'personal' issue, you might want to give us a link to the PDF and one of us can try to DL the file and transfer to another location, such as Books. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 10.16.55 PM.png

OP

60andRetired

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have occasionally had issues with the share sheet when attempting to save files. Restarting (powering off then on again) the iPad usually clears this up.

If I've misunderstood your issue please let me know, and add more details.

I have tried re-starting several times to no avail. Also upgraded iOS once and that did not help either. If I hit the "share" icon for any purpose other than dealing with pdf files everything works fine. I can forward web pages, set bookmarks, print, email items to self, and even save to a pdf file. But I cannot open the share sheet if a pdf is open on the screen, no matter what I try.

OP

60andRetired

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, seems like you have a 2017 iPad (circled below) which can be upgraded to iOS 12.2 - might help (or not?) - also, do you have problems w/ other PDFs downloaded from Safari or just this one that you want? If the latter and not a 'personal' issue, you might want to give us a link to the PDF and one of us can try to DL the file and transfer to another location, such as Books. Dave :)
View attachment 85403
I have problems with any pdf which is opened in Safari. Have upgraded once (to 11.4) and that made no difference. Would like to solve this problem before upgrading again to avoid losing some files I need to save.

OP

60andRetired

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. Could I suggest you try another (free) browser from the app store? The second browser can be deleted later, but it might show whether it is a Safari problem or an iPad problem.

2. Are the pdfs protected against sharing?
No, the pdfs are not protected, but trying a different browser sounds like a good idea. Could you suggest one you think would be my best bet?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Do the PDFs show up viewable in Safari, or as icons with a download link? Are they fully downloaded when you try to open the Share sheet (can you view the last page?). Are there active links or other content in the PDFs?

I don’t know what is going on. I’m just sifting for clues.

As for your browser question, iCab Mobile is probably the most versatile browser available for the iPad. It’s also the most complicated, so expect a learning curve. I keep it and Puffin around for the rare occasions Safari isn’t enough.

Puffin can view Flash sites, but does so by running them on a remote server; so, tradeoffs.

Most reactions

Latest posts