What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS6 update to iPad2

boobaloo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My "Upgrade" has failed at least 5 times. Maybe I won't bother trying again if you guys are that unhappy with it. Doesn't sound like it's better. Could the failure to update be due to the fact that mine is Jailbroken?

iMitch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My "Upgrade" has failed at least 5 times. Maybe I won't bother trying again if you guys are that unhappy with it. Doesn't sound like it's better. Could the failure to update be due to the fact that mine is Jailbroken?

Yes. You will have to back up and restore it to update. I had the same problem.

BobLenx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am disappointed that so few of the IOS 6 improvements made it to the iPad2. I feel as if we are being ignored on devices that are only a year or so old. And the iPad 2 is still being sold as a new device. Obsolescence at this level is IMHO unacceptable. There is no way a device this new should be incapable of handling more of the features that made it to the iPad 3. I'm pretty upset.

Even my seven year old laptop can be upgraded to the new Windows 8 - and it even runs faster than ever! (I have Win8 Release Preview on it now, and it has gone from Vista to Windows 7 before that.) Yes my screen resolution won't let me have multiple Metro windows and my hardware doesn't have a touch screen, but that's about it. And I am confident that I could replace my laptop with a new super duper Windows 8 tablet/laptop combo when they come put and not face the same level of obsolescence within a year or two.

I cannot say the same for my iPad 2, which by the way I Love.

But technology does march on and leave us behind. Can't deny that I guess.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
BobLenx said:
I am disappointed that so few of the IOS 6 improvements made it to the iPad2. I feel as if we are being ignored on devices that are only a year or so old. And the iPad 2 is still being sold as a new device. Obsolescence at this level is IMHO unacceptable. There is no way a device this new should be incapable of handling more of the features that made it to the iPad 3. I'm pretty upset.

Even my seven year old laptop can be upgraded to the new Windows 8 - and it even runs faster than ever! (I have Win8 Release Preview on it now, and it has gone from Vista to Windows 7 before that.) Yes my screen resolution won't let me have multiple Metro windows and my hardware doesn't have a touch screen, but that's about it. And I am confident that I could replace my laptop with a new super duper Windows 8 tablet/laptop combo when they come put and not face the same level of obsolescence within a year or two.

I cannot say the same for my iPad 2, which by the way I Love.

But technology does march on and leave us behind. Can't deny that I guess.

Here is a chart of which iOS 6 features work on each device.

image-1303750263.jpg

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Im more than happy. Wifi speed increases aplenty for me. Dunno why, but it is. Finding more general speed and stability. This is awesome.
Clock and alarm system well overdue and welcome too.
Love the new app store immensely as well.

Maps? Not too bothered. It's certainly a work in progress and will no doubt quickly improve. There's a zillion and one apps put there to street view me, but yes, it will get better when it's all in one app and is less aimed at America.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I for one am perfectly happy.

And I don't consider that limiting the features available due to hardware constraints (primarily RAM) is equal to "obsolescence". To render a device obsolete you make it no longer fit for purpose. That is NOT the case with any of the current iPads, even the poor old iPad1 is of significant use even though it is left on 5.1.1 IMHO.

OP
Jupiter7

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks, Guys, for the more positive replies!
Hopefully, third time lucky,I will succeed in downloading the update. (two failed attempts due to error in download).

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jupiter7 said:
Thanks, Guys, for the more positive replies!
Hopefully, third time lucky,I will succeed in downloading the update. (two failed attempts due to error in download).

I myself had two download failures before a successful download.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jupiter7 said:
Scifan57'. Thanks for that encouraging post. Did you need to do a backup and restore?

I was doing it OTA and just had to start the download again.

OP
Jupiter7

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh, quite straight forward then. I expect the servers may have been ultra busy on Saturday when I tried. Thanks again.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jupiter7 said:
Oh, quite straight forward then. I expect the servers may have been ultra busy on Saturday when I tried. Thanks again.

I upgraded on Wednesday, the day iOS 6 came out.

Most reactions

Latest posts