1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

iOS5 First Impressions

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by riki, Oct 13, 2011.

1. riki

riki iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Quite frankly, I am not impressed. For starters, despite doing a backup before installing iOS5, I have lost more than half of my apps which has annoyed me tremendously. I will have to start all over again. I don't find the overall "improvements" as fantastic as some will try to make you believe. The only thing I find useful is that the ipad no longer requires a computer for updates, a computer in its own right albeit limited compared to a laptop or desktop PC. I hope I change my opinion as I get acquainted with the new system but for now... yuk!
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    You mentioned performing a backup, but I wondered whether you synchronised your iPad and PC before updating to iOS5?

Tim
  3. PCUK

PCUK iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    A total rip-off for Ipad 1. They've made it seem like an obsolete old slug without the gestures compared with 2 .
    Cynical marketing ploy?
    If you had the gestures via Xcode you will miss them terribly as I do.
    Shame on you Apple!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0

Maybe you should have waited for reviews before you updated. Sorry you don't like it!
  5. mikeos

mikeos iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    i'm really happy with imessege and news stand.
    the notification center is okay, but no widget support like iphone and ipod touch, which is dissapointing.
    was looking forward to gestures, but apple had to be sneaky little buggers didn't they? haha

all in all if it wasn't for imessage and news stand i would have been happier with my jailbroken 4.3.
    kinda half regret updating.

will be much better once an untethered jailbreak is announced.
  6. c230k

c230k iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can not verify icloud account. On Ipad settings under icloud said check your email for instructions to verify this accoung.Account not verified. Never received email to verify. Tried my Apple account and it would not verify either. Need to retreve backup. I also lost all o fmy apps and though icloud backup would fix the problem.
    Any ideas
    Thanks
    Tom
  7. skinnypreacher

skinnypreacher iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    not a bad upgrade but i can't figure out how to get location notifications working. Maybe iPad 1 wifi doesn't support it? does anyone know for sure?
  8. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0
    I think I'll stick to my plan and wait out this upgrade for a little while. Im very happy with the way my 4.3.5 iPad2 works. I do like some of the features in iOS5 but there isnt anything I must have at this point.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    Location notifications were disabled for everything except the iPhone 4

Apparently the geo fence does not work on other devices.

-t
  10. riki

riki iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes tim, I did. I'm in the process of reinstalling some of the apps I remember.
  11. Hellion

Hellion iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I hate the new tab bar in Safari. I always use my iPad 1 in landscape mode and the tab bar gobbles up precious screen space.

Is there a way to remove it?
  12. skinnypreacher

skinnypreacher iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks for the info I must have missed that somewhere. Guess we'll have to wait for IPad 3 for some of the real coolness of iOS5.
  13. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Good to hear - let us know how you get on....

I'm waiting a bit longer.....

Tim
  14. Daved2006

Daved2006 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I started upgrading last night and finally finished at about 2pm today. I can't stand iTunes and it is the only that is ruining my enjoyment of my new iPad and iPhone 3GS. I work at demonstrating technology for a living so I know my way around most stuff like that but iTunes is a joke. Every time I attempted to update it would start syncing and backing up and then proceeded to tell my there was no more space on my ipad despite me starting off with 5gb free on my iPad. Long story short I was stuck in an endless loop of iTunes threatening to delete all my data or telling me I had no space until I finally got it sorted at 2pm today. There should be some detailed user friendly instructions with iTunes

Overall iOS 5 was not worth the effort. I don't really see what all the fuss was about.
  15. Daved2006

Daved2006 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry my post above went a bit funny, anyway to conclude ios 5 was not worth the effort.
  16. Munky

Munky iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Overall, it is an improvement though there is a few things I don't like:

1. The new functionality of the photos app...can create albums but can't move photos between them. If you save a pic from email it goes to saved photos as before. You can select it and if you create a new album with it it goes to the new album but stays in saved photos as well. This is unacceptable. Apple dropped the ball on this feature. The two things they did improve in the photos app that work are being able to re-arrange the albums in the order you want and they improved scrolling speed when you have LOTS of albums like I do. The should have just copied the functionality of the Photoalbums+ tweak in cydia and added the re-arranging function to it.

2. The music app. My main complaint here is making the now playing text too light on the background and the album art too small. I use my iPad in my car daily connected to my stereo, as I made a custom dash mount for it and this really makes it hard to see. Album art, I could live without, but would love to at least see the the now playing arrow or whatever you want to call it that is in the song list automatically jump to show which song is playing, especially when using shuffle so that the current song playing always shows close to the middle of the list.

3. They should have included the weather widget for notification center. Is there a cydia tweak for this?

Other than that, it's been a pretty positive experience so far....will be ever better once all the jailbreak tweaks get updated.
  17. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    That's a shame, I'm enjoying getting to learn all the ins and outs of iOS 5.
  18. Andyvalver

Andyvalver iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    iOS 5 seems ok. Not the massive upgrade apple were raving about. We don't have gestures on iPad one and I was looking forward to that.

Things like news stand could have just been a downloadable app. iMessage is the best thing about the whole update. And let's be honest that could have been a downloadable app too lol.

I think apple have let themselves down a bit with this update. They hyped it up and to be honest it's just average. Half the stuff it can do now android could do before.

sent from iPad
  19. GoPackGo

GoPackGo iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    By notification center, do you just mean what shows up when you swipe down from the top bar? Because I love it, maybe more than Android's. It's nicer looking.

While I love the albums thing on the photo app, I have to agree I'm underwhelmed with it in the end... Because when I move pics into an album (you can't move pics into albums synced from your computer, I learned) they still stay in Camera Roll... Kind of annoying.

I do like iMessage, having only an iPad and not an iPhone yet. My mom has an iPhone and because my android phone sucks, I like being able to use my iPad to text her (and other people) since she's one of those moms that even at 26 wants her daughter to text her to tell her she got home okay :)

Overall iOS 5 is smoother. I don't like that you can't delete Newsstand because the only digital subscription I might get will just go in iBooks because it's a PDF. But I do like the smoothness, the notifications on the lock screen, the notification bar, and iMessage. I'm glad I upgraded. I also got lucky and lost no apps... Only thing I lost is the cover art on books I synced from iTunes that had been on an external hard drive.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  20. Beerman

Beerman iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Overall, I'm happy. The update gave me a few problems but on the first day, I didn't expect much. My ipod touch updated much faster.
    One thing that is odd is that while I was updating, I was connected to my PC the whole time. When I started the update, my battery was showing 71% but hours later when completed, it showed a full charge. This morning it's only down to 90% so my question is, does the new OS allow charging via USB now? I can't see where that's mentioned anywhere.