What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS5 First Impressions

riki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.apperley-art.com
Quite frankly, I am not impressed. For starters, despite doing a backup before installing iOS5, I have lost more than half of my apps which has annoyed me tremendously. I will have to start all over again. I don't find the overall "improvements" as fantastic as some will try to make you believe. The only thing I find useful is that the ipad no longer requires a computer for updates, a computer in its own right albeit limited compared to a laptop or desktop PC. I hope I change my opinion as I get acquainted with the new system but for now... yuk!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You mentioned performing a backup, but I wondered whether you synchronised your iPad and PC before updating to iOS5?

Tim

PCUK

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A total rip-off for Ipad 1. They've made it seem like an obsolete old slug without the gestures compared with 2 .
Cynical marketing ploy?
If you had the gestures via Xcode you will miss them terribly as I do.
Shame on you Apple!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A total rip-off for Ipad 1. They've made it seem like an obsolete old slug without the gestures compared with 2 .
Cynical marketing ploy?
If you had the gestures via Xcode you will miss them terribly as I do.
Shame on you Apple!

Maybe you should have waited for reviews before you updated. Sorry you don't like it!

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'm really happy with imessege and news stand.
the notification center is okay, but no widget support like iphone and ipod touch, which is dissapointing.
was looking forward to gestures, but apple had to be sneaky little buggers didn't they? haha

all in all if it wasn't for imessage and news stand i would have been happier with my jailbroken 4.3.
kinda half regret updating.

will be much better once an untethered jailbreak is announced.

c230k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can not verify icloud account. On Ipad settings under icloud said check your email for instructions to verify this accoung.Account not verified. Never received email to verify. Tried my Apple account and it would not verify either. Need to retreve backup. I also lost all o fmy apps and though icloud backup would fix the problem.
Any ideas
Thanks
Tom

skinnypreacher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not a bad upgrade but i can't figure out how to get location notifications working. Maybe iPad 1 wifi doesn't support it? does anyone know for sure?

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think I'll stick to my plan and wait out this upgrade for a little while. Im very happy with the way my 4.3.5 iPad2 works. I do like some of the features in iOS5 but there isnt anything I must have at this point.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
skinnypreacher said:
not a bad upgrade but i can't figure out how to get location notifications working. Maybe iPad 1 wifi doesn't support it? does anyone know for sure?

Location notifications were disabled for everything except the iPhone 4

Apparently the geo fence does not work on other devices.

-t

Hellion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hate the new tab bar in Safari. I always use my iPad 1 in landscape mode and the tab bar gobbles up precious screen space.

Is there a way to remove it?

skinnypreacher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the info I must have missed that somewhere. Guess we'll have to wait for IPad 3 for some of the real coolness of iOS5.

Daved2006

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I started upgrading last night and finally finished at about 2pm today. I can't stand iTunes and it is the only that is ruining my enjoyment of my new iPad and iPhone 3GS. I work at demonstrating technology for a living so I know my way around most stuff like that but iTunes is a joke. Every time I attempted to update it would start syncing and backing up and then proceeded to tell my there was no more space on my ipad despite me starting off with 5gb free on my iPad. Long story short I was stuck in an endless loop of iTunes threatening to delete all my data or telling me I had no space until I finally got it sorted at 2pm today. There should be some detailed user friendly instructions with iTunes

Overall iOS 5 was not worth the effort. I don't really see what all the fuss was about.

Daved2006

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry my post above went a bit funny, anyway to conclude ios 5 was not worth the effort.

Most reactions

Latest posts