What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 8 storage requirements

Glasgowrocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A very basic question - why does IOS 8 require so much storage? I have maximum storage on all of my devices but now find that I have to delete content to make space.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A very basic question - why does IOS 8 require so much storage? I have maximum storage on all of my devices but now find that I have to delete content to make space.
The extra storage above that required for the update itself is needed to download, prepare, and install the update. The extra storage is freed up after the update is completed.

If you do the update through iTunes on your computer you don't have to free up all that extra storage space on your iPad.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I found it wanted 7 Gb to update on wifi but following the suggestions here and using iTunes it took only 1 Gb more than iOS 7.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Agree w/ Scifan.. - if you want to do the upgrade OTA (Over the Air), then the iOS DL is just under 1 GB but about 5 GBs of free storage is required; I did my iPad 2 cabled via iTunes on my MBPro, so the space need is greatly avoided - do you have your device backup to a computer and is iTunes available to you?

If not, then please provide more details on the devices you want to upgrade and the storage that you have left - you'll likely need to delete content to perform an OTA upgrade - delete the items that you can easily re-DL from the App Store - Dave :)

OP
G

Glasgowrocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys ... not sure that I totally understand why this should be .... but then again not sure that I have to. All devices connected and updated. Many thanks.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks guys ... not sure that I totally understand why this should be .... but then again not sure that I have to. All devices connected and updated. Many thanks.

Well, congrats on the upgrading! :) Keep in mind that if done OTA (vs. cabled to iTunes) the iPad must first do the iOS 8 DL (less than a GB), then uncompress that package which will take up more room than the DL, and also compress iOS 7 (just in case) - the compressed iOS 8 DL & old iOS 7 will be deleted after reboot, probably along w/ other items - Dave

Most reactions

Latest posts