IOS 8 storage requirements

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Glasgowrocks, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Glasgowrocks

Glasgowrocks
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    A very basic question - why does IOS 8 require so much storage? I have maximum storage on all of my devices but now find that I have to delete content to make space.

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The extra storage above that required for the update itself is needed to download, prepare, and install the update. The extra storage is freed up after the update is completed.

If you do the update through iTunes on your computer you don't have to free up all that extra storage space on your iPad.

3. n4uau

n4uau
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I found it wanted 7 Gb to update on wifi but following the suggestions here and using iTunes it took only 1 Gb more than iOS 7.

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Agree w/ Scifan.. - if you want to do the upgrade OTA (Over the Air), then the iOS DL is just under 1 GB but about 5 GBs of free storage is required; I did my iPad 2 cabled via iTunes on my MBPro, so the space need is greatly avoided - do you have your device backup to a computer and is iTunes available to you?

If not, then please provide more details on the devices you want to upgrade and the storage that you have left - you'll likely need to delete content to perform an OTA upgrade - delete the items that you can easily re-DL from the App Store - Dave :)

5. Glasgowrocks

Glasgowrocks
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys ... not sure that I totally understand why this should be .... but then again not sure that I have to. All devices connected and updated. Many thanks.

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, congrats on the upgrading! :) Keep in mind that if done OTA (vs. cabled to iTunes) the iPad must first do the iOS 8 DL (less than a GB), then uncompress that package which will take up more room than the DL, and also compress iOS 7 (just in case) - the compressed iOS 8 DL & old iOS 7 will be deleted after reboot, probably along w/ other items - Dave