1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

iOS 6: No more street view?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by DrHouse, Jun 11, 2012.

1. DrHouse

DrHouse iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    I watched the keynote tonight and was quite pleased by the new features. But it looks like we are gonna loose the "Street View" feature from Google Map, being replace by the navigation feature.

For sure it should be available directly on Google's site, but I really liked that feature as I could see the surrounding of my destination before leaving.

Have I missed something or this what's coming? Too bad if we lose it, but turn-by-turn is also a long missed native feature...
  2. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    You are correct, no Street View since that was part of google maps. Also note that all apps that you have that currently use Google maps will automatically switch to apples maps when run on iOS 6. I have not looked at the new Maps api but 3rd party app makers could always specifically code their app to use Google maps some of them already give you the option to use a variety of maps.

The 3D flyover mode with the 3D buildings is amazing, however they dont have it everywhere, Here in Miami,FL they only have the 3D buildings in downtown Miami.
  3. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    yes, it will be curious to see how the usual 'america only club' is varied.

so, if the usual google maps app dissapears, how do we access street view via the google maps web app on the ipad? when i press the google maps w/ street view in the web app it takes me to the resident ipad app. but if this goes......? in other words, will street view still be available?
  4. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    You should be able to download it as an app, or within an app.
  5. marisaB

marisaB iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't think so. Today’s WWDC keynote didn’t disappoint those who were looking for news on the next version of iOS, iOS 6. Here’s the details on some of the largest new additions to what Apple calls “the most advanced mobile operating system.â€
  6. TC93

TC93 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Many people will not be happy having no street view. Which also brings up another thing I really dislike about Apple, is them not letting you choose default applications.

My parents most likely will not update to ios 6 if there is no street view. They use it with the contacts list.
  7. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    I like street view, too. Will try to hang onto it if possible.
  8. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    No one has said that Google Maps will not be an option. That is Google's decision to make. If I am not mistaken, part of the issue is that Google made features available on Android that they would not port to iOS. And street view is available through Safari. And Apple does give choices. You are able to pick your search engine, for example.
  9. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    Apple restrictions on the default browser send you to the native map app when you look up an address, for instance. It's not that Google access will be cut out entirely (because that's not within Apple's reach even if they'd like, lol). It's a matter of a change leading to users having to take extra steps to access what works seamlessly right now.
  10. macuser88

macuser88 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am sorry, but this is a complete mistake by Apple in my opinion. Why take away with what works perfectly for everyone. No, now you get to integrate Siri, your mentally disabled guardian to give you turn by turn directions (Common guys, would you trust Siri with your life?! She is not the smartest of gals!) I do not get it. Especially with all the updates from Google Maps.

I am personally loving 3d flyover technology and indoor maps features on GoogleMaps. Oh and the offline maps feature...whaaaaaaatttt!@@ Brilliant. Works seamlessly on my tablet and phone.
  11. biobunny

biobunny iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    The Maps Api for apps don't really need street view, and there's always Google Earth.

Sent from K48
  12. DrHouse

DrHouse iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    StreetView is way more useful than a 1000 feet overview of the target area. Maybe we'll still have the buildings and streets available in the same way, but having a real view of the surroundings with trees, lights, parking space is easier to figure out where to go when on target.

I just hope that StreetView will still be available one way or another because it's an amazing feature to validate that the destination pin is actually on the right address street number. Sometimes, the data map have some discrepancies with the real position of the destination.

We'll see in a few months...
    • Like Like x 1
  13. sgtbanjo

sgtbanjo iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    On the iPhone 4, we have reduced functionality over google maps as the turn by turn and 3D flyover is not available. Also when using find my friends and selecting 'get directions', my iPad opens Safari with a link to google maps??
  14. Dan Parry

Dan Parry iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You could try an app called iFindYou
  15. Webalistic

Webalistic iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    See here for a nice collection of amazing IOS6 maps features! :)
  16. Dennym1

Dennym1 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I bought this iPad three with the street view function and apple in thier infinite wisdom, or lack there of chose to take it away. Does that mean I can return it because of manufacture screwup?
  17. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,886 / 1
    No, street view was a feature of the Google maps app that was included as part of iOS prior to iOS 6. When Google maps were dropped as part of the iOS 6 update, street view was lost. It's not a manufacturing defect.
    The new Google maps app available in the AppStore includes street view. It's is an iPhone app, but works well on the iPad. Hopefully there will be an iPad optimized app available before too long.
  18. Dennym1

Dennym1 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you much. Downloaded it but, street view is not functioning in my area any more. It use to work fine in the stock map app. Thanks anyway.
  19. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,886 / 1
    Enter your address and follow the directions to get a street view image of your house or any other address. That's how it worked for me.
  20. LannyC

LannyC iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +322 / 0
    To get street view in the new Google Maps app, you have to drop a marker by tapping on a road. Not next to a road, but on it. Zoom in if necessary for greater precision. Then tap the white info bar across the bottom of the screen to access street view.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.