What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.2 Mail Application

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am I missing something or is there still no way to set the view for new mail at the top, or mail marked for followup at the top?

Was really hoping I could look forward to that.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just out of interest George, can you explain exactly what you mean by the first bit? I am assuming you want to be positioned at the newest message every time? Genuinely interested to know why you consider that better than the current interface...

OP
George Knighton

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just out of interest George, can you explain exactly what you mean by the first bit? I am assuming you want to be positioned at the newest message every time? Genuinely interested to know why you consider that better than the current interface...

I deal with a few dozen emails per day, at least.

I will frequently mark as unread, or mark for followup messages that I will have to deal with later in the day, or even days later, or messages that I will have to talk about again for a long while.

So, no, I would not necessarily want to be positioned at the newest mail every time. I might want to be positioned at the oldest mail marked for followup, or the oldest mail that has been left marked unread.

With Outlook and many other mail interfaces, you can choose a view that will show you either all messages that were marked for followup, or all messages that you've left as unread.

Without a setting like this, it becomes tiresome having to scroll through a 200-mail view window to find a mail that is waiting to be dealt with.

This will, of course, cause some people to regard the iPad as less excellent than its potential, and cause them to carry a notebook instead of the iPad.

I've also missed being able to do this on the iPhone 4. :-(

I know that Apple are aware that some people would want to do this, because the online management of their iMAP MobileMe system allows for these settings. But of course we can't use the online interface for MobileMe on the iPad because if you navigate to MobileMe you get a window instruction you to install the applications or use the native mail application.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I deal with this by moving mail to a follow up folder which works well for me, particularly when the iPad is just a supplement to my desktop, rather than a replacement.
Also, because of the multitasking, I expect to be positioned in the view where I left off, rather than repositioned based on unread or follow-up status.
But I totally appreciate your requirements will be different from mine! That's why I like to ask. Helps me refine my own approach to things.

OP
George Knighton

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you.

And over here, I must say that I totally appreciate that you've just given me a common sense solution for what I was asking about.

Although I have multiple custom iMAP folders, I feel completely stupid that it never occurred to me to create a followup folder.

:)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you.

And over here, I must say that I totally appreciate that you've just given me a common sense solution for what I was asking about.

Although I have multiple custom iMAP folders, I feel completely stupid that it never occurred to me to create a followup folder.

:)

See how much fun that was? LOL
Glad I was able to help...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you Guys also have a problem with opening email atachments in other programs?? It shows 0kb???

Hmmm. Maybe.
Just tested with a word document attachment. Is fine with "quick look", but Docs2Go does not like it... error 0x7370103
However, that's not because it shows 0kb. The size is fine, and docs2go can be a bit funny with word docs sometimes. Don't have any other attachments to test it with in my inbox at the moment!

What "other programs" are you using to test?

young blade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you Guys also have a problem with opening email atachments in other programs?? It shows 0kb???

Hmmm. Maybe.
Just tested with a word document attachment. Is fine with "quick look", but Docs2Go does not like it... error 0x7370103
However, that's not because it shows 0kb. The size is fine, and docs2go can be a bit funny with word docs sometimes. Don't have any other attachments to test it with in my inbox at the moment!

What "other programs" are you using to test?

Ive used iread pdf and quick office and filebrowser.

EwanG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having what appears to be a related problem with the released version of 4.2. If I add an attachment to an email with DocsToGo, and then send it, When I go to look at it in the sent folder I get a message that the message can't be read, and that it has an attachment of 0k. If I access it through the Gmail web interface, the message is blank, and has a 0k attachment. Since this was working just yesterday, I have to think it's a 4.2 issue. Any suggestions on how to get around this?

Most reactions

Latest posts