What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inkpad

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been using Inkpad for vector graphic illustrations since the early days of iPad and have been quite impressed! It is the easiest to use if the many apps I have evaluated, and its drawings export nicely to most note taking apps.

I was worried because no updates came along for a long time. But right after iOS 7 was rolled out, an iOS 7 update to Inkpad appeared. Joyous, happy days! There was apparently still life in this great app!

Recently, another update appeared which included arrowhead endpoint embellishments on straight lines. A wonderful improvement!

If you need a vector graphics drawing app, go get it right now! It is fabulous? (I don't say that about many apps, and please understand that I have no personal connection with the developer. I am just a satisfied user, and I would like to see the app continue to be improved.)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apparently it's gone Open Source, and free.

At that price I had to pick it up. You never know when you'll need an app like this.

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apparently it's gone Open Source, and free. At that price I had to pick it up. You never know when you'll need an app like this.
Could you explain "Open Source"? And free is good! I think I spent about five bucks for it early on.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Open Source means that the owner of the code has released the app's source code under one of several possible licenses that allow it's use free of charge. The conditions of the licenses range from absolutely free-to-use or may have various restrictions such as; no commercial use, credits given, or requiring any derivative software be subject to the same license.

Open-source license - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The last version description on Inkpad's App Store page says that it has gone Open Source as of version 1.5. I did not go to the source to see what restrictions apply.

Last edited:
OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Open Source means that the owner of the code has released the app's source code under one of several possible licenses that allow it's use free of charge. The conditions of the licenses range from absolutely free-to-use or may have various restrictions such as; no commercial use, credits given, or requiring any derivative software be subject to the same license. Open-source license - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The last version description on Inkpad's App Store page says that it has gone Open Source as of version 1.5. I did not go to the source to see what restrictions apply.

So I guess the "open source" itself is of interest mainly to developers, and users only feel the "derivative effect" of the app being free to use?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, it's mostly about developers. Though the ramifications can be larger than free. I can mean other apps based on the same code. It also means that the current developer has pretty much given up on directly profiting from the app. Depending on other motivations it could also mean that the app has seen it's last major update.

So, big plus for developers who wanted access to the code to make their own apps. For end users a mixed bag.

Most reactions

Latest posts