What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Increasing problems with iPad WiFi

Roger1122

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My condominium provides a 100Mbs Internet LAN and ever since I got an iPhone 3 a couple of years ago I've had a two-channel WiFi unit plugged into it. When I changed over to the iPhone 4 I noticed increased interruptions in connections. These show up as repeated requests for passwords and "could not connect" error messages. I found out that moving closer to the WiFi unit sometimes restored the connections, but occasionally i would have to press the reset button or temporarily switch the unit off and then back on again. Then my wife got an iPhone 4, and I got an iPad 2. Now the interruptions are so frequent that it's getting really tiresome. On the other hand my laptop, which runs on the same WiFi system, has no such problems, so it seems to be an Apple thing. I was hoping that iOS 5 might cure things, but now the problems occur at least once a day on one or more of our devices. If anything, this is worse than before. I've checked for other WiFi signals but only one or two show up, and at very low signal strengths, so it's unlikely to be WiFi interference. Bluetooth is OFF and our microwave is never ON when these service interruptions occur.

Any comments or advice?

I noticed yesterday that the latest WiFi units offer higher maximum throughput rates and are cheaper than the unit I bought two or three years ago, and promise a greater operational range. But the box label did not claim compatibility with iPad 2, and the Apple salesperson was unable to confirm it, and recommended me not to buy one without confirmation.

I would be grateful for suggestions. The iPhones can both--at a pinch--manage with our 3G service, but the iPad is WiFi only. The flaky WiFi connection was a real pain when updating to iOS 5!

OP
Roger1122

Roger1122

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Give this a look over. Maybe something in the thread will help.

Checklist for troubleshooting Wi-fi connection problems
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/30525-checklist-troubleshooting-wi-fi-connection-problems.html

Thank you. I used to have a similar problem with my PC laptop, although the cause was not exactly the same. I share a condominium-wide LAN for Internet access, and this assigns IP addresses dynamically, so when the address was retained by the laptop but had been changed while it was switched off, the handshaking failed. There were several things in the thread that I had not tried and I will work through them.

Most reactions

Latest posts