What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image/Photo Thread Of Any Images You Would Like To Share....

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, Susan & I have just returned from an 8-night car trip to visit our son & DIL in Indianapolis (we usually fly) - the 10 hour drive was broken into some mini-vacations in central Kentucky - a visit going to the capital, Frankfort and returning to Lexington - will likely start a travelogue shortly - but one of our first experiences was visiting the Frankfort Cemetery, and specifically the grave of the famous Daniel Boone - below the first paragraph from his Wiki Article (click the source for more, if interested).

A couple of my own images of the grave and a brief plaque about Boone, who died in Missouri but was reinterred in Frankfort because of his importance in opening up the trans-Appalachian area and particularly Kentucky to settlement. The grave is located high on a hill overlooking the Kentucky River and the state capitol building (more later). Dave :)

Daniel Boone (1734 - 1820) was an American pioneer, explorer, a woodsman, and a frontiersman, whose frontier exploits made him one of the first folk heroes of the United States. Boone is most famous for his exploration and settlement of what is now Kentucky, which was then part of Virginia but on the other side of the mountains from the settled areas. As a young adult Boone supplemented his farm income by hunting and trapping game, and selling their pelts in the fur market. It was through this occupational interest that Boone first learned the easy routes to the area. Despite some resistance from American Indian tribes such as the Shawnee, in 1775 Boone blazed his Wilderness Road through the Cumberland Gap in the Appalachian Mountains from North Carolina and Tennessee into Kentucky. There he founded the village of Boonesborough, Kentucky, one of the first American settlements west of the Appalachians. Before the end of the 18th century, more than 200,000 Americans migrated to Kentucky/Virginia by following the route marked by Boone (Source).
P1000432 copy.JPG
P1000434 copy.JPG

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, Susan & I have just returned from an 8-night car trip to visit our son & DIL in Indianapolis (we usually fly) - the 10 hour drive was broken into some mini-vacations in central Kentucky - a visit going to the capital, Frankfort and returning to Lexington - will likely start a travelogue shortly - but one of our first experiences was visiting the Frankfort Cemetery, and specifically the grave of the famous Daniel Boone - below the first paragraph from his Wiki Article (click the source for more, if interested).

A couple of my own images of the grave and a brief plaque about Boone, who died in Missouri but was reinterred in Frankfort because of his importance in opening up the trans-Appalachian area and particularly Kentucky to settlement. The grave is located high on a hill overlooking the Kentucky River and the state capitol building (more later). Dave :)

View attachment 68203 View attachment 68204
A little bit of American history, posted by my favorite history student. "More later?" Do you doubt it? :)

Most reactions

Latest posts