What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image/Photo Thread Of Any Images You Would Like To Share....

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
After a week of trying, I finally caught and banded (ringed, for you Europeans) this little beauty:

30aug14-4.jpg

It's an immature female Ruby-throated Hummingbird, my first pure albino of that species. Seeing her in flight, all I could think of was "Tinkerbell!"
Quite amazing, I've never seen an albino hummingbird before. How likely it it that it will survive for a full lifespan?

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is there just a difference in the use of the word (band - ring), or does it definitely mean a different kind of material or activity?

No, it's the same thing, just a different terminology. Remember, America and Britain are two peoples separated by a common language. :)

Quite amazing, I've never seen an albino hummingbird before. How likely it it that it will survive for a full lifespan?

They are quite rare. Aside from the obvious absence of camouflage, the lack of melanin leaves the flight feathers brittle and easily broken. Whereas feathers lost adventitiously (pulled out) are replaced in a couple of weeks, broken ones are not replaced until the next molt, which for hummingbird wing feathers is usually in midwinter. All hummers with white wing feathers have proven to be immature birds, with not a single adult documented, so this little bird's outlook is poor. But, by banding her, we might learn how far she gets on her first migration. Or if she survives, whether her adult feathers will also be white. These are giant gaps in our knowledge!

Albino birds are fascinating, beautiful, and tragic.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, it's the same thing, just a different terminology. Remember, America and Britain are two peoples separated by a common language. :)
Thank you!

It's the same with Austrian German and German German: some expressions are different but mean the same; in general, we pronounce the words different. :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
40b92912a85df38c8ccbdbb17a71807f.jpg

A silk screen on paper!

:) Peace begins with a smile :)
- Mother Teresa.
iPad 2
You edited your post while I quoted it. :D

It wasn't complete when you used it as avatar. This is so much better! It's way easier to read the words. :)

Thank you, Diane!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This will be the birthday calendar of my 4th grade students this year. Four children didn't yet finish their drawings, their places are kept free.
image.jpg

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's because sunset is slightly earlier in the second set of photos so that when the sun is centred on the steeple, it's closer to the horizon.

Most reactions

Latest posts