What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iFiles - Does anyone body use this?

smithgt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've bought iFiles as a way to get my photos to my FTP account.

The problem I have is that the photos metadata (i.e. Date/time taken or GPS location) is lost somewhere in the transfer.

Does anyone know if this is a iFiles issue or just a trait of the iPad camera?

sam2caps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not so sure myself but i think the details about the photo/s are in another file? Not sure which though

docramage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Metadata on iPad and iFiles

I've bought iFiles as a way to get my photos to my FTP account.

The problem I have is that the photos metadata (i.e. Date/time taken or GPS location) is lost somewhere in the transfer.

Does anyone know if this is a iFiles issue or just a trait of the iPad camera?

Hi,

I tested for this: a photo taken on iPad and emailed to my home computer contained all fields (ie over 50) completed in EXIF metadata, including geotags. However, the same photo imported from Camera roll into iFiles root directory, and then uploaded to my PC lost nearly all metadata, except: Orientation - Top left, ExifOffset - 38, ColorSpace - sRGB, ExifImageWidth - 960, ExifImageHeight - 720

I understood that EXIF data is embedded in .jpg files. "When Exif is employed for JPEG files, the Exif data are stored in one of JPEG's defined utility Application Segments, the APP1 (segment marker 0xFFE1), which in effect holds an entire TIFF file within. When Exif is employed in TIFF files (also when used as "an embedded TIFF file" mentioned earlier), the TIFF Private Tag 0x8769 defines a sub-Image File Directory (IFD) that holds the Exif specified TIFF Tags. In addition, Exif also defines a Global Positioning System sub-IFD using the TIFF Private Tag 0x8825, holding location information, and an "Interoperability IFD" specified within the Exif sub-IFD, using the Exif tag 0xA005." (Wikipedia)

So I guess iFiles loses or strips it.

Philip

Most reactions

Latest posts