iBooks does not open books after update to ios 5

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Coollawyer, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Coollawyer

Coollawyer iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a bunch of ePub books which I have uploaded onto the iPad using iTunes. They worked fine previously with cover art etc. however once I updated to ios 5 I am having trouble. In particular, some books now appear on the screen with cover art but I can no longer open them as there is a black line of sorts in each of the books I can't open. As if they were trying to download but can't for some reason. I tried to erase everything and resync several times without avail. Indeed every time I resync what happens is that random books become available but others do not. I can't delete them or move these books anywhere.

Any help i can get is greatly appreciated.
  2. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,147 / 1
    If all the books are in your iTunes library (and only if), then try deleting and reinstalling the iBooks app, then syncing again.
  3. garanth

garanth iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Did you update Ibooks? Apple released an updated version on 11th Oct that was supposed to fix / improve IOS 5 compatability.
  4. Coollawyer

Coollawyer iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Many thanks for all your help. I deleted iBooks, reinstalled it and then switched off iCloud and synced with iTunes several times. It seems to work now!
  5. rstokes

rstokes iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am having the same problem re loss of cover art on ebooks after ios5 upgrade. I have tried deleting all books from the ipad2 and the resynching, I have tried deleting the ibook app on my ipad2, reinstalling and then resynching. none of tese has worked for me in my ipad2 or my iphone 4. any other ideas? I have advised others of the issue who use thier ipad as ereader and many are not upgrading to ios5 until this is resolved.
  6. chado33

chado33 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Same problem, but just occured after months of problem free use.

I was reading a book last night before bed. I woke up this morning, made breakfast, was sitting over my steaming bowl of oatmeal ready to get back into my book... but this story does not have a happy beginning. My book... nay, ALL my books are no longer accessible. Black bars mar each and every book, I cannot delete, move, open, or make any changes to my books in any manner. I deleted the app, shut down, restarted my iPhone 4S and redownloaded iBooks.... and same thing. A mystery begins... did my 3-year old child drop my phone in the toilet overnight? Perhaps my sinister wife who has had it in for me ever since I moved our Hawaii vacation back a week... or perhaps Apple has put me down as a "bad apple".... Any suggestions or thoughts?
  7. SimonAllen

SimonAllen iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Same problem.

I have the same problem. ibooks shows collection but there is a downloading black line in all the books.. I have deleted the app and reinstalled it. It asked if I wanted to sync my books and I said 'Yes' but the books still do not open.

I next tried re-downloading the books. I went back to the store and selected one of the books. It shows as ready for download and I clicked 'download' and sure enough it does. I then opened the book and it remembered where I was. I then downloaded another book only to find that the first book was now shown as waiting to download. So I am stuck. I see that ibook app was updated and was waiting to upgrade. So these comments are based on the latest version of iBooks. The only other thing I can add is that I am on version of iOS 5.0. So if you are reading this and have cracked this one let me know.

I can add that I have now upgraded to iOS 5.1 but problem still persists. Fleetingly some books appear and open only disappear again.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  8. dcs3473

dcs3473 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Apple, iPhone and iPad Forums | ModMyi.comhis is what worked for me even with Ibooks 2.