What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBooks does not open books after update to ios 5

Coollawyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a bunch of ePub books which I have uploaded onto the iPad using iTunes. They worked fine previously with cover art etc. however once I updated to ios 5 I am having trouble. In particular, some books now appear on the screen with cover art but I can no longer open them as there is a black line of sorts in each of the books I can't open. As if they were trying to download but can't for some reason. I tried to erase everything and resync several times without avail. Indeed every time I resync what happens is that random books become available but others do not. I can't delete them or move these books anywhere.

Any help i can get is greatly appreciated.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If all the books are in your iTunes library (and only if), then try deleting and reinstalling the iBooks app, then syncing again.

garanth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you update Ibooks? Apple released an updated version on 11th Oct that was supposed to fix / improve IOS 5 compatability.

OP
C

Coollawyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks for all your help. I deleted iBooks, reinstalled it and then switched off iCloud and synced with iTunes several times. It seems to work now!

rstokes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same problem re loss of cover art on ebooks after ios5 upgrade. I have tried deleting all books from the ipad2 and the resynching, I have tried deleting the ibook app on my ipad2, reinstalling and then resynching. none of tese has worked for me in my ipad2 or my iphone 4. any other ideas? I have advised others of the issue who use thier ipad as ereader and many are not upgrading to ios5 until this is resolved.

chado33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem, but just occured after months of problem free use.

I was reading a book last night before bed. I woke up this morning, made breakfast, was sitting over my steaming bowl of oatmeal ready to get back into my book... but this story does not have a happy beginning. My book... nay, ALL my books are no longer accessible. Black bars mar each and every book, I cannot delete, move, open, or make any changes to my books in any manner. I deleted the app, shut down, restarted my iPhone 4S and redownloaded iBooks.... and same thing. A mystery begins... did my 3-year old child drop my phone in the toilet overnight? Perhaps my sinister wife who has had it in for me ever since I moved our Hawaii vacation back a week... or perhaps Apple has put me down as a "bad apple".... Any suggestions or thoughts?

SimonAllen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem.

I have the same problem. ibooks shows collection but there is a downloading black line in all the books.. I have deleted the app and reinstalled it. It asked if I wanted to sync my books and I said 'Yes' but the books still do not open.

I next tried re-downloading the books. I went back to the store and selected one of the books. It shows as ready for download and I clicked 'download' and sure enough it does. I then opened the book and it remembered where I was. I then downloaded another book only to find that the first book was now shown as waiting to download. So I am stuck. I see that ibook app was updated and was waiting to upgrade. So these comments are based on the latest version of iBooks. The only other thing I can add is that I am on version of iOS 5.0. So if you are reading this and have cracked this one let me know.

I can add that I have now upgraded to iOS 5.1 but problem still persists. Fleetingly some books appear and open only disappear again.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts