What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBooks and Books 'New' Status

SJO1602

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I got an iPad2 for Christmas and have been happily learning my way around it and have a question on iBooks. I have looked through the forum since joining but the posts relating to my question don't provide the answer (perhaps there isn't one).

My question is: when I put epub books into iTunes and sync to my iPad they appear with 'NEW' flags accross them. I opened one of the books on the iPad to check and immediately lost the 'New' banner which from reading the forum I understand why. However, is it possible to get this 'New' flag back on the book cover images somehow as its useful for me to leave unread books in this state.

I tried deleting the book and re-syncing the iPad but although it brings the book back from iTunes it somehow remembers that it has previously been opened. This works with the Kindle app but not with iBooks?

Any ideas or is this not possible?

Regards
Steve

BKAINC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If not - you can create a collection titled "Not Read" and move the books there.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's more or less what I do. I leave unread books in the default Books collection, and then move them off to some collections I created when done.

I don't know of any way to reset the new ribbon.

OP
S

SJO1602

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So how does the iPad remember what is new and what is not?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
SJO1602 said:
So how does the iPad remember what is new and what is not?

If I knew that I could probably tell you how to reset it. ;)

Purely a guess, and not one I intend to follow up on and test right now, I think you need to do two things (at least).

Turn off all syncing in Settings > iBooks, then delete the book from all you iOS devices and iTunes on the computer (if is there).

And then for good measure I would restart the iPad before re-downloading the book.

That still may not be enough. Somewhere in the iTunes services it remembers your last page on the book, so it is not just a matter of clearing a pointer on the iPad itself. This is so that you can keep it synced on multiple devices. The above is my best guess on how this 'might' be cleared without going to the extreme and deleting the iBook app itself (from every device); which would be kind of inconvenient.

Most reactions

Latest posts