What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to download a custom tone...

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
I wave a neat .wav file of the Mac boot up sound saved here on the iPad, and I want to convert it to the appropriate file to download as my text notification tone. Every site I search for this advocates running it through iTunes, which is defunct now, sort of... Anyone know how to do this, or do I just sit on the file until September, and hope there’s a good option then? Admit it, it would be a cool text alert.........

Attachments

• AppleMacBootUpSound.zip
    40.1 KB · Views: 486

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It can be done with GarageBand, though the method to use a sound file is a bit roundabout.

GarageBand can make ringtones out of your music projects. You can also import sounds from the Files app as samples. The two combined allows you to make a ring tone.

What you need to do is create a new project with the name of the ring tone you want. Then make a track using the Audio Recorder instrument. There is no import feature here, so you’re going to trick it using drag-and-drop.

You’ll also want the Files app visible in the dock. You can do this by adding it to the dock, or by opening it then closing it. The second method should add it to the recent apps to the right in the dock, providing you have not turned that feature off.

With the tracks visible, pull up the dock, then drag the Files app up into slide-over view (floating to the right). Navigate to the file, then drag it into the audio track. You’ll wan it all the way to the left for best results. Pulling up the dock can be tricky. I quick short pull may be needed to turn the drab bar white before it will work properly. I think this is to keep accidental gestures from interrupting whatever you are doing.

Once it has been added, play it a couple of times to make sure it worked. Don’t worry about the blank space to the right. When you export to a ringtone, this part will be cut.

Go back to the Project view and long press on your project. Choose Share from the pop-up menu, and then choose Ringtone. You can either assign the sound immediately, or just save it to the Ringtones and assign it later in the Settings app.

Here is a screenshot showing how it looks right after I added the file to the audio track, and another one showing the share choices on the project screen.

360B4E0F-1F50-4202-BD98-95DE1A69FB67.png

690AAFF9-BE29-485A-A4B8-EDCC7E9CA474.png

Note: I found a website that showed the method in more detail. I can’t remember the url, but if this isn’t enough for you to figure it out, try searching for ‘adding ringtones using Garageband’. That’s what I did.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Glad it worked. Despite how clear my instructions appeared, it’s a fiddly process, probably because GarageBand wasn't designed for the task.

Apparently drag-and-drop works in several Apple and third party apps that do not have the ability to import files otherwise. A nice side effect of the feature being built in at the system level.

Most reactions

Latest posts