What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need a car charger for my iPad 3 4G

LaDeGray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I Took an 8 hour trip and used the 4g connection the whole trip. When I noticed the battery at 18% I tried to charge it using a USB charger that i used for my old iPad 2. It slowed the drain and I was able to continue using it until reaching my destination. I closed all apps that I wasn't using and decreased the brightness. By the end of the trip, the battery was at 6%.

On my return trip of 8 hours, I started out at 100%, kept it charging, and the battery only drained to 48%.

Are there any car chargers that work for the iPad 3?

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Several. Get a charger that says it is specifically for the iPad, or supplies 10W of power (or aprox. 2A at 5V). It's the same requirement as the iPad 2, so don't think you need a special new charger for the new iPad.

Though the iPad 2 was a bit more likely to work with lower powered chargers; if you've been using one that way.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even with the 10w/2.1A car charger, you may still see a drain during heavy usage. On a long trip using 3G and GPS at the same time, it would drain my original iPad even when being charged. The iPad can consume a lot of power with some apps. Even though it has some great battery management features, cellular and GPS functions can run in the background, creating demands on the battery.

Androidfonefan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You knew it was going to happen, didn't yah. Apple decided to not call it the IPad3 but everyone is calling it that any way.
Maybe Apple will update the name to IPad3 in a decade or two.
It is funny how they set a trend in naming their devices, everyone gets use to it and likes it and then they go and change it on everyone.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
image-1763512494.jpg

image-1631334073.jpg

I just bought this one. Haven't tried it with an ipad3 but it charges my ipad2 and iPhone simultaneously.

Monster iCar 700 dual USB.

$33 from Walmart.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

noel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
image-518358766.jpg

This is what i use, bought it from ebay for a couple of quid, charges both ipad and iphone at the same time

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like Walmart ripped me off. Never mind, I've always had a soft spot for Monster cables. They look good as well as doing the job.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wal-Mart is not going to compete with Ebay or Amazon on cables and minor accessories. Most people want those immediately and do not want to spend the time hunting a bargain. It is like cell phone batteries. I can get one on Amazon for $4-10, but if you go to the phone company store, Staples, Best Buy or Wal-Mart to buy one, you pay very high retail prices, sometimes $50-60.

Holoshed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seems like all of my memories of monster cables are that they added needless metal or gold plating to make you think it's worth it to spend a lot. I use a zagg car charger and I have no problems with it.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Holoshed said:
Seems like all of my memories of monster cables are that they added needless metal or gold plating to make you think it's worth it to spend a lot. I use a zagg car charger and I have no problems with it.

There's probably more than a grain of truth in that.

Most reactions

Latest posts