What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Car charger compatibility?

Finntegral

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to know if the following Hama car charger is compatible with iPad 3. It reads on the packaging:

Made for iPod, iPhone
1000 mA
12/24 V

Although iPad is not listed as a compatible device, could the charger still be used with iPad? The salesperson thought so, but I'd like to be certain before trying, lest anything untoward happen (I can return the charger if necessary). Hama's support has not responded to my query.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You're looking a the wrong end of the spec. You want the output, which should be about 2A at 5V (or 10W). More won't hurt. USB is always 5V. It is the amperage that is important.

Chargers meant for the iPhone or iPod usually supply around one forth to half of the optimum power, and will only charge an iPad, if it is turned off, and even then very slowly.

If it does not say that it is for the iPad, or does not specify 2A/5V or 10W output (or higher), then it's not going to work well with the iPad 3.

However the converse is not true. The higher output charger will work just fine with an iPhone or iPad, so you still only need one charger.

OP
F

Finntegral

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. Those were the only specs given in the packaging. Based on your advice, I'll return the charger to the store.

You're looking a the wrong end of the spec. You want the output, which should be about 2A at 5V (or 10W). More won't hurt. USB is always 5V. It is the amperage that is important.

Chargers meant for the iPhone or iPod usually supply around one forth to half of the optimum power, and will only charge an iPad, if it is turned off, and even then very slowly.

If it does not say that it is for the iPad, or does not specify 2A/5V or 10W output (or higher), then it's not going to work well with the iPad 3.

However the converse is not true. The higher output charger will work just fine with an iPhone or iPad, so you still only need one charger.

Most reactions