What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just installed an iPad in my car. I love it!!

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very cool. With a 3G version you would get turn by turn navigation and built in internet access. I really want to see a portable solution for rental cars when on travel but this looks awesome!

-Greg

I think one valid portable solution may be based on the RAM Mount that fastens to the bottom of the passenger seat chair rail. I have used RAM mounts for years but I would never trust a $900 3G to one of their suction cup mounts. I have had them break loose on bumps or with heating of the window or dash to extreme temperatures.

I like the idea of the iPad being positioned below the window level so the screen probably would be more readable and the fact it is held ruggedly in place until you un-clip it.

I am waiting for someone else to buy that solution and report on how it fared. RAM isn't cheap but it is good stuff.

The police and military also use RAM. I used it to mount HAM radios.

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nicely done. I like the way it can quickly be mounted. A method for the 30pin connection would dominate the trucking and other travel related industries.

AlohaD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that's a million dollar idea! An idea you might see in a few card in the future. Look you see some cars already coming out with Apps to remote start cars, why not an iPad holder too!!?

Tucker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am actually doing exactly this as well

I started redesigning my 87" Toyota truck interior about 6 months ago. I was going to gut a 12" laptop I had and design the dashboard around the monitor. I am putting a new engine in my truck that supports OBDII so that the computer can communicate with the engine and act as a digital instrument cluster.

now though, the ipad is the PERFECT solution. already has OBDII apps, touch screen, and navigation. so I have a completely custom wood and aluminum interior that has a hidden compartment which slides out and reveals a slot for the ipad to sit. same location as OP. all I have to do is finish the engine install and get my 3G on Friday so that I can begin mocking up the dash.

rebfrechr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Tucker

Hi Tucker

I would really like to see the result of your iPad installation. Do you have any pictures or a video to show.

Most reactions

Latest posts