I have searched help and this topic but cant find any reference so here i am.

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by squib, May 8, 2013.

1. squib

squib iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +766 / 0
    When I am using the keyboard and the voice comes on to suggest a letter or word I never know what the volume of the voice wil be. Sometimes it is VERY loud and sometimes it is normal . I only want to change it when it is REALLY loud. It drives me nuts. And it is not connected to the rest of my volumes! I can put the volume to zero and it is still LOUD! The sound settings can all be zero and the keyboard voice is still the sane. TOO LOUD! Anybody know how to help? I sure would appreciate it. Thanks. squib
  2. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 1
    Squib--are you referring to Siri when you select and highlight a word than asks for it to speak? If so, you can double press the home button and swipe to the right to show your volume controls. There you can lower the volume.

Have a look at these pics and see if this pertains to you.

image-69196107.jpg

image-382133046.jpg

image-1518125500.jpg
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
  3. squib

squib iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +766 / 0
    No, I don't have SIRI. I am talking about when I am typing right now! Like when I type the word I it says out loud " capital I " which it just said. Sometimes it is a man's voice and sometimes a woman's. squib
    I just typed a phrase and highlighted it and doubled clicked but all I got were the APPS in RAM?
  4. skimonkey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 1
    Squib,do you have the "Voice Over" feature on?

Head over to Settings/General/Accessibility/voice over and see if you have it switched to on.

You can turn it off if you wish. Otherwise, you can lower the volume by the directions I gave you!

image-1441244216.jpg
  5. squib

squib iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +766 / 0
    THANK YOU THANK YOU - I had voice AUTO CHECK on. I might make a lot of typo's mow but at least I won't have that voice yelling at me too! There was a slider to go left to right speaker which is in the middle but no choice for volume. Thank you again Skimonkey!
    Oh I see voice over which was off and then there is / here is a picture and they are all turned off now. The speak auto text was the one I turned off and now It is quiet!

6. skimonkey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 1
    Awesome, Squib!! :) :)
  7. squib

squib iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +766 / 0
    Hi ski monkey et al,

After looking at these posts, I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a way or control for the typing voice? I am a lousy typer
  8. skimonkey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 1
    Let's see what others say. I don't use that feature to answer for you!
  9. squib

squib iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +766 / 0
    Oh crap, now that I don't have the voice anymore I keep getting a been sound every 20 sec or so. At first I thought it was my alarm because I unplugged it for about 5 hrs, big deal, but I rarely unplug it if I'm using it. But now I don't know. I am going to turn it off and see what happens. When my iPad is powered off the correct way - white apple - should I still hear the sound I get when I get new mail? I don't think so! And with all of these sound issues I am having am wondering if I have a speaker or sound issue. Not a far leap I know! But I JUST passed my one year date! Grrrr!
  10. squib

squib iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +766 / 0
    HELP! I AM WORRIED! My iPad started making beeping noises every 3 sec then 5 sec then 3 sec for two days. Once in awhile a message comes up saying something like

This charger does not (? ) support (?) this (? ) sorry I really can't remember that last word. But even though I kept my eye on my battery it was topped up. Now all of a sudden it has gone down to 87% even though it has been plugged in. Also the screen will dim and brighten every so often, maybe once a week. That has happened for a long time. Oh and now the beeping has stopped for the first time. One other thing. I will shut down my IPAD the proper way. Even /here comes the beeping again! I even X out all the Ram then push on the power thing so I get the red slider. But then the white apple will show up right away, and then it goes to my lock screen with the slider to turn it on....it does this all by itself without me touching anything , not the keys, not the IPad! Has anyone any idea of what could be happening? Squib.
  11. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,316 / 1
    It might be time to call Apple Support. There are things, like problems with RAM (hardware), that will cause periodic beeping. Before you do that though, give Reset all Settings a try. This will not erase any of your apps, documents, or accounts. It will reset most other settings on the iPad back to the defaults; including your Sound settings.

Reset All Settings: Another, somewhat more drastic thing you can do is Reset All Settings. You'll find this under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't erase any of your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to go through most of your other settings and re-tweak them back to your liking.
  12. squib

squib iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +766 / 0
    Thanks , I will give it a try! Let you know what happens!
  13. squib

squib iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +766 / 0
    I can't do it because that pass code box comes up! I have never set a pass code but after upgrading the IOS on time it suddenly had set it's own! Is there a default pass code?
  14. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,316 / 1
    There is no default passcode, and there should be no way for a passcode to set itself. If you did not do it, then someone else must have. If a passcode has been set, and you can't find out what it is you'll have to do a Restore using iTunes. This will erase all contents and set the iPad back to factory state. You'll be able to reload your apps and most other iTunes content, but any other documents or pictures will be lost.

There are actually two kinds of passcodes. The one to unlock the device and the restrictions passcode. This one sounds like the Restrictions passcode, which locks in certain settings, used mostly to keep children from accessing parts of the iPad you don't want them to. If you don't remember setting it, check with anyone else who might have access to the device.
  15. squib

squib iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +766 / 0
    I have NEVER synched my IPad with ITunes!? What is going on? This is crazy!
  16. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,316 / 1
    You would not have to sync the iPad to iTunes to have a passcode set. However, if you can't reset or restore the iPad from Settings > General > Reset; then the only way to Restore the iPad is using iTunes. You don't have to sync to do this.

Or, just call Apple Support. Or, if you can get to an Apple Store, make an Genius Bar appointment and let them take a look. Hopefully they can make it right.

If you have ever fiddled with the Restrictions settings, it's very easy to create a passcode for it. It demands one the moment you turn it on. Just try to go to Restrictions and see if it is on. Once on, the only way to get back in is to know the passcode or Restore the iPad.
  17. squib

squib iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +766 / 0
    I do know about the the restrictions part. I chose never to change that or go into it. I am the only person who has access to my iPad, and I KNOW that it happened after I updates to IOS 6. Now I will set up an appt with the Genius Bar. Thanks! Here's hoping that will resolve it! I do know other people who have complained about the restrictions pass code being set up without their doing anything so maybe it is a bug.!
  18. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,316 / 1
    No telling.

Personally, I make it a point to turn on Restrictions. That way I know what the passcode is, it can't be set accidentally, and no one else can change it for me; joke or not. It's not like I have to actually turn on any of the Restrictions.

Good luck with your appointment. Please let us know how it turns out.
  19. squib

squib iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +766 / 0
    I didn't realize I had to GO somewhere. I am stuck flat on my back. I know I got help before with iChat but I can't seem to find the right page to find it again. Do you have any idea where that is? Thanks BTW, I really appreciate you spending so much time on this! :)
  20. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,316 / 1
    Ok, let me explain.

A Genius bar appointment is a physical appointment at an Apple Store. It's nice, if you can go, but not necessary.

If you contact Apple Support, they have a variety of ways of interacting; email, chat, phone. You don't have to go anywhere. If they decide your iPad needs repair or replacement they'll (usually) arrange for it to go through mail. In the case of a replacement they usually send you the new one with a box and post to send the old one back. Hold in mind, you'll be charged for a new iPad if the old one isn't sent back.

If it's not a hardware issue, you are out of warrantee, or don't have AppleCare, there may be charges. Be sure to find out up front; though they should make that clear.

Hold in mind this is based on my personal experience in the U.S.. Your's may vary.

To start and Apple Support ticket, start Here. Be sure you pick your country at the top first.

https://expresslane.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.action