What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Can’t Type (Roku) Without Parenthesis

jimt29

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have reset everything I can think of but the iPad Pro 10.5 replaces the word to include parenthesis as shown: (roku). I typed the previous word In all caps with no parenthesis’.

I even went to Settings/General/Keyboard/Text Replacement and it added the () to the word I tried to change.

Anybody know a fix or solution?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is there an entry in Text Replacement for roku?

If so, swipe the entry to the left to delete it.

If not, then the iPad might have decided (based on past learning) that roku is a misspelling of (roku).

You can try to eliminate it by going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Keyboard Dictionary. This is where the iPad saves auto-correct actions it’s learned from your behavior. For instance, if you’ve often corrected roku to (roku) the iPad may have learned this as the proper spelling. Keep in mind that words you are used to having corrected for you may no longer be automatically corrected.

You can also turn off Auto-Correction in Settings > General > Keyboards. This will stop all auto spell corrections, but not the Text Replacement. Note there is a separate Auto-Correction for physical keyboards under Hardware Keyboard in the same place.

Some apps, like Pages, have their own auto-correction and spell detection settings. Those have to be changed in the app’s settings.

One last thing. For rare and troublesome words that keep correcting themselves (and are not worth reseting stuff) you can let the correction happen, then position the cursor to delete just the unwanted letters or symbols. You need to type something after the word before editing, otherwise it will correct again when you type a space after the word.

Most reactions