What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How well does the iPad work for word processing?

mattygmk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a nice, light netbook, and I've been wondering if it might be worth spending the extra money on an iPad instead. What I'd be using it for mostly is writing, though. I use Google Docs anyway, so I don't need a full-featured word processor, and of course I'd get a plug-in physical keyboard.

So my question is, how well does Google Docs work on the iPad? Is it as quick and easy to use as on a PC?

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
mattygmk said:
I'm in the market for a nice, light netbook, and I've been wondering if it might be worth spending the extra money on an iPad instead. What I'd be using it for mostly is writing, though. I use Google Docs anyway, so I don't need a full-featured word processor, and of course I'd get a plug-in physical keyboard.

So my question is, how well does Google Docs work on the iPad? Is it as quick and easy to use as on a PC?

even with a keyboard attachment, you will be missing some keys etc, plus without a mouse, navigating will be slightly slower, but once you get fully used to it, you will be able to type etc pretty quick

I rarely do stuff on the MacBook or laptop nowadays.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wytey said:
even with a keyboard attachment, you will be missing some keys etc, plus without a mouse, navigating will be slightly slower, but once you get fully used to it, you will be able to type etc pretty quick

I rarely do stuff on the MacBook or laptop nowadays.

Same here, I'm a typist and I find the more you use the keyboard the faster you get but if you really miss your keyboard, I have an Apple Bluetooth keyboard which I use if I have a lot of typing to do.

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

Tuschness

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Docs to go and pages are good options as well. Plus with an iPad you can do so much more :)

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I write quite a bit on the iPad, mostly on the go. So I use the onscreen keyboard and have gotten quite used to it.

I am using Pages so I do not know how well Google Docs works.

treker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Word Processing...Get a Netbook

I have both. If I had to write a term paper or long report with footnotes, etc...there is no choice. Netbook all the way. I don't believe an iPad does MORE than a netbook as some have written. It is fun. Lots of neat apps. But it is no word processor. And netbooks are going for $219 Acer One at Target. $199 Gateway at BestBuy. At these prices, why not buy both an iPad and Netbook!

cypress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
u may find it beneficial to purchas the bluetooth keyboard if ur gona do alot of word processing. right now i have a netbook and i dont even use it anymore almost collecting dust. although i dont have an Ipad just yet i been using my friends alot lately and i know that when i get it, i will use it more than the netbook. put some money towards the keyboard and see where it takes you.

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is unbeatable as an ultra-portable research/reference tool and as a display, but for volume inputting such as writing you would do better to use a laptop or equivalent.

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Get a netbook

A decent netbook will cost less than an iPad.

iPad is good for content consumption but not at content creation.

If your documents are usually less than 5-10 pages (and mostly text), you probably manage ok with iPad. Anything more than that, consider a device with proper keyboard.

Also note the point that none of iPad word processor (paid ones) are 100% compatible with Microsoft Office.

You will always find that you're tweaking formatting on desktop later.

AlCho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree, iPad is amazing but for document editing you might want to consider a laptop:D

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pages and Apple bluetooth keyboard work fine

BUT now you have something as large as a netbook. Why not get a netbook to begin with?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wolfpuppies3 said:
BUT now you have something as large as a netbook. Why not get a netbook to begin with?

Ahh! I'm sure OP won't be writing all the time, you are forgetting addiction!

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to produce simple documents, letters, even brochures, fine. Pages is pretty, if a bit unintuitive. Documents to go, Quickoffice and Office2 HD are all ok for opening and editing relatively simple documents. As a business tool where, inevitably you will be trying to work with Microsoft documents forget it. And for anything longer than this post a keyboard is a must. The apple Bluetooth keyboard is superb. No until google docs or Microsoft docs work on it this is not a great business tool.

Most reactions

Latest posts