What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO use mini as a word processor?

LC.Primmer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not figured out even after downloading some free apps how to use my mini as a word processor. I have trouble opening attachments if they are not in .pdf formats. Is there a way to save those attachments or save documents that I've created if I'm able to? Example, I cannot open Word or Excel documents on mini that are sent to me as attachments. Thanks!

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
LC.Primmer said:
I have not figured out even after downloading some free apps how to use my mini as a word processor. I have trouble opening attachments if they are not in .pdf formats. Is there a way to save those attachments or save documents that I've created if I'm able to? Example, I cannot open Word or Excel documents on mini that are sent to me as attachments. Thanks!

You can try the pages, numbers, and keynote apps (word, excel, PowerPoint apps - but ms office 2010 files such as .docx aren't supported - and each app is $10). I personally use Google Drive to open, read, and edit those kind of documents. It's free and does pretty much everything Microsoft office can do on your computer.

I'm also just gonna mention how to open attachments in another app. Tap and hold the attachment, and a menu should appear in which you can select which app you want to open the attachment in.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Pages supports .docx import of Word files. It exports as pages, PDF, and .doc

Oh true, they are supported as import, but I've always had trouble with the formatting being off; so it looks much different from what It looks like on a computer

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh true, they are supported as import, but I've always had trouble with the formatting being off; so it looks much different from what It looks like on a computer

It depends on what you import, of course. A fairly simple document usually looks about the same. More complicated documents usually need a bit of tweaking. The latest version of Pages has improved it's import compatibility considerably.

Still, I would not recommend Pages for people who are constantly moving the same document back and forth between it and Office. As long as your import and export needs are occasional, Pages is a very nice word processor. You wont' find anything better for creating a well laid out document on the iPad.

I don't consider Google Drive a very good substitute for Word, or at least not on the iPad alone. The editing tools are very basic, and the final document does not always print out as it appears in the editor. It is good for simple documents, but not as a good layout tool. The tools on the main Google site are much better. I you plan on doing your final formatting there and only adding text and pictures on the iPad, that would work fairly well. Still not as powerful as Word, but most of the tools are there, and they work.

Other popular Office compatible apps with varying degrees of power and compatibility are:

Documents to Go
Office HD
QuickOffice
Polaris Office.

And if you can live with the limitations of desktop-made-touch UI and needing fast internet access to work on your documents:

CloudOn
OnLive.

OP
L

LC.Primmer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
It depends on what you import, of course. A fairly simple document usually looks about the same. More complicated documents usually need a bit of tweaking. The latest version of Pages has improved it's import compatibility considerably.

Still, I would not recommend Pages for people who are constantly moving the same document back and forth between it and Office. As long as your import and export needs are occasional, Pages is a very nice word processor. You wont' find anything better for creating a well laid out document on the iPad.

I don't consider Google Drive a very good substitute for Word, or at least not on the iPad alone. The editing tools are very basic, and the final document does not always print out as it appears in the editor. It is good for simple documents, but not as a good layout tool. The tools on the main Google site are much better. I you plan on doing your final formatting there and only adding text and pictures on the iPad, that would work fairly well. Still not as powerful as Word, but most of the tools are there, and they work.

Other popular Office compatible apps with varying degrees of power and compatibility are:

Documents to Go
Office HD
QuickOffice
Polaris Office.

And if you can live with the limitations of desktop-made-touch UI and needing fast internet access to work on your documents:

CloudOn
OnLive.

Thank you both for all the suggestions. I will do some research on those apps! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts