What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another word processing question

Jnclem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, this is where I am at. I see a lot of problems with updates across both docs to go and word hd. People seem to like these things until an update comes along. This is what I see especially with docs to go. I like the idea of the different ways to save the projects and being able to access it from anywhere.

It's like chowdown said at some point in the process I will be using a PC but the rest of the project can be done on my oh so awesome iPad. :)

jnclem, have you had any problems with the update? Right now I think it is a toss up between docs to go and pages.

Thanks for all the awesome feedback. Of all the things to fret over i'm worrying over this. I just cannot get over how easy it is to type on this thing. I had not anticipated that I would be entertaining the idea of doing my papers on this thing but now it is more than just a "toy".

Thanks again,

Rachelle Butts
32 gb wifi
Whatever the new OS is :)

I assume you mean since the 4.2 update for iPad. Docs to go functions exactly as it always has for me, except that occasionally the sync will not make the connection between my laptop and iPad. When that happens, I have had to go to the utilities, network setting on the iPad, and forget the network connection.

The second you do that, the iPad reconnects to the network with a new address or something, and it works perfectly again. While this shouldn't happen, and I am sure one end or the other will fix it soon, it has been a very rare occurrence, and once I knew what to do, about a five second fix. I agree that people get angry when there is any change (can you say rotation switch?) and they expect these fabulous devices to work perfectly at all times no matter what they ask them to do.

Other than that one issue, everything works just fine. I like pages when I am creating a document. I like the way the interface works. But I generally then use that document as a pages document, occasionally convert it to word. I would have to say that if I wanted to be sure that nothing at all would change on a document that was created on my iPad, I would use docs to go. The iPad simply does not support all of the fonts that I have on my Mac. So if I create something on the Mac with fonts that the iPad doesn't have, it will certainly substitute some fonts when I bring it over, or have to treat the document as an image.

There are some limitations that you just can't get around. But if you keep just a few things in mind, the two tools work very well together. It sounds like some of the other posters have researched all of this in much more depth than I have, but these have been my experiences.

OP
R

Rbutts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd like to see a current comparison since that article is from June and so much has happened since then.

I am with you on that one.

I think I am pulling the trigger now. LOL. I think I have spent enough time debating. I am going to go with docs to go and worse case senario I don't like it and have to go with another.

Thank you all for your help as I make the simplest decision. Lol.

Rachelle Butts

gadawg94

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been having the same debate. I have a lot of files saved on Dropbox and I love the option of carrying my iPad in my purse rather than lugging a laptop to meetings. I just want to be sure that in can open and edit word files from Dropbox. The reviews on docs to go concerned me too. Would you mind sharing your experience once you test it out?

Thanks!

Most reactions