What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to use EPUBs with no DRM in Wireless Plus

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Subject as per Title.

Hi Kiwi--you might want to give a little more info for others to help.

We also deleted your other post which was similar, but with a different title. We'll keep this one open.

Thanks for your understanding.

Skimonkey ~ ipadforum Moderator | iPhoneforum Moderator

OP
K

kiwibrian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks skimonkey - I was unable to change/edit the title of the other query. I have a Wireless Plus device and have many EPUB ebooks, all without DRM. I have transferred them onto the WP device from my PC using the special cable/plug device which came with the WP. I have not been able to find a tutorial describing how to access them in the iPad from the Wireless Plus device. I have seen comments that file-types that are not natively supported by iPad can use the apps which do support EPUB format to access/display EPUBs but have not seen a description of how to do that. Documents 5 by Readlle are my preferred apps that I would like to use to display them. Hope that clarifies my query. TIA.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks skimonkey - I was unable to change/edit the title of the other query. I have a Wireless Plus device and have many EPUB ebooks, all without DRM. I have transferred them onto the WP device from my PC using the special cable/plug device which came with the WP. I have not been able to find a tutorial describing how to access them in the iPad from the Wireless Plus device. I have seen comments that file-types that are not natively supported by iPad can use the apps which do support EPUB format to access/display EPUBs but have not seen a description of how to do that. Documents 5 by Readlle are my preferred apps that I would like to use to display them. Hope that clarifies my query. TIA.

Hello - your might want to provide more information on your WP device (brand/model) - I'm not completely sure what the product does (I have an AirStash which works on its own Wi-Fi network so understand the process)?

Just went to Project Gutenberg and downloaded an epub book (i.e. *.epub) to my laptop, put the book into my Dropbox folder which made the title appear in the Dropbox iPad app - by using the 'share' icon, I was able to open the book in iBooks (but not in GoodReader), so at least an app that can read this format. Dave :)

OP
K

kiwibrian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Giradman - thanks for your reply. My device is Seagate Wireless Plus which I gather is their latest/new 1Terabyte model. Like you I use Dropbox and know that the process works as I have used it in the past to install EPUBs into Documents 5 by Readdle and also iBooks in the iPad using the PC, however I would like to be able to use SWP just as I can/do with PDFs and DOCX files. I have seen comments that "file-types that are not natively supported by iPad can use the apps ....." which do support EPUB format to access/display EPUBs but have not seen a description of how to do that.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I take it you have installed the Seagate Media app? Using that you should be able to use the Open In... feature to open the ePub file in your app of choice.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Giradman - thanks for your reply. My device is Seagate Wireless Plus which I gather is their latest/new 1Terabyte model. Like you I use Dropbox and know that the process works as I have used it in the past to install EPUBs into Documents 5 by Readdle and also iBooks in the iPad using the PC, however I would like to be able to use SWP just as I can/do with PDFs and DOCX files. I have seen comments that "file-types that are not natively supported by iPad can use the apps ....." which do support EPUB format to access/display EPUBs but have not seen a description of how to do that.

Thanks for the additional information! :) So, you own the Seagate external HD that establishes a personal Wi-Fi network w/ your iPad (like the pic attached) - my AirStash does the same except has no internal storage (i.e. a SD card needs to be used). I'm assuming that there is a Seagate iOS app (similar to my AirStash) that is on your iPad - correct?

Well, not sure that I can add much more since I do not have this external wireless HD nor have used the iOS app to know its features/options - sorry; hopefully, one of the members who has the same setup will 'chime in' to help; also, you might want to visit the Seagate website to see if there is a forum that may be helpful - good luck and let us know your solution - I looked @ that product before buying the AirStash. Dave

005095-1.jpg

OP
K

kiwibrian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I do have the Seagate Media App installed. I have just had another try, and do not see an Open In option anywhere. I have given up until someone who has a Seagate Wireless Plus and can upload EPUB files successfully pops up. Thanks to you all for trying.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't have the app/drive but this is what I see you need to do based on a brief look online:

Use the app to navigate to the ePub file you want to test. Select it.

In the top right there is a button that looks like a topless box with an arrow coming out of the top and is pointing right. Tap that. The Open In... Option should be there. Select that then choose the app from the list that supports ePub files.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes I do have the Seagate Media App installed. I have just had another try, and do not see an Open In option anywhere. I have given up until someone who has a Seagate Wireless Plus and can upload EPUB files successfully pops up. Thanks to you all for trying.

Hold in mind you must have an app that can read the file type installed before you will see an Open In option for it. Or that's the way it works for most apps anyway. If you have iBooks installed and it is not working, try some other ePub readers. There are several, and most are free.

Most reactions

Latest posts