What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to setup kids with their OWN facetime & iMessage?

jamie.long951

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

So two kids have just got their own iPod touches. Heres the problem. They both want their own facetime & apple IDs so they can message each other and mates etc. Will they need their own email addresses (they dont have 1 yet?) or is there an easier way?

Secondly will they have to have their own itunes account, with my card details on each account (for buying different apps etc)? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can have separate apple IDs for iCloud and FaceTime, and they can still use your apple ID for the AppStore. No problem.

OP
jamie.long951

jamie.long951

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So to have their own apple IDs for facetime they need there own email address right?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yep. And iCloud comes with a @me.com email address. You also have to sign in with that Apple ID in Settings > FaceTime itself.

However, you can set up as much of the iCloud features as you want, then go into Settings > General > Restriction to turn off the ability to make changes in Accounts; and lots of other restrictions that might apply, depending on how old/mature your children are. So I'm 'pretty' sure you can actually turn off the email itself, if you don't want them to be sending and receiving email.

Don't forget the passcode though. It's a pain to recover from a lost passcode.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh, and other email account can probably be used to call Facetime as well once you add them in Settings (both the account and in FaceTime), but you will still need an Apple ID to make it work.

OP
jamie.long951

jamie.long951

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up... appreciate you replying on xmas day!

Most reactions