What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to set up ipad email as 2 way sync

Esschoir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am an iPad newbie (and really al things apple), so please bear with me.

I bought my wife an iPad 3. She wants to be able to read her pop3 emails (from her Comcast account) on her iPad, delete the messages on the iPad, and have those deletions carry through to her Outlook (2007) on her desktop computer (with Windows 7).

I have searched these forums and the Net, and have come across bits and pieces of the answer but I am having trouble putting it all together. Exchange server is not an option for her. I think I need to do something with Gmail as the intermediary but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Many thanks in advance

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Esschoir said:
I am an iPad newbie (and really al things apple), so please bear with me.

I bought my wife an iPad 3. She wants to be able to read her pop3 emails (from her Comcast account) on her iPad, delete the messages on the iPad, and have those deletions carry through to her Outlook (2007) on her desktop computer (with Windows 7).

I have searched these forums and the Net, and have come across bits and pieces of the answer but I am having trouble putting it all together. Exchange server is not an option for her. I think I need to do something with Gmail as the intermediary but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Many thanks in advance

Hello Esschoir, welcome to the forum. There is alot of information about all things iPad on this forum. I too have the same question that you brought up. But I have a slightly different need. I have two email addresses, one from Apple-->which is really easy to manage. After I read my Apple email, reply or delete that email, it is gone.

My Frontier email comes to me through my iPad. Originally I thought I would keep my email from Frontier but now I want to delete email after I read them on my iPad from Frontier and be done with it. Your wife has an intermediary in her Win7 PC using outlook. I get my email directly from Frontier using the iPad's email app. No Outlook needed. I have a Win7 PC with Outlook, when I sync my PC with Frontier, all the email I've downloaded to my PC is wiped clean off of Frontier's email service. I would like the same function with my iPad. If I can get the iPad to do what my PC does with Outlook, that is one less function for my PC.

OP
E

Esschoir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Esschoir, welcome to the forum. There is alot of information about all things iPad on this forum. I too have the same question that you brought up. But I have a slightly different need. I have two email addresses, one from Apple-->which is really easy to manage. After I read my Apple email, reply or delete that email, it is gone.

My Frontier email comes to me through my iPad. Originally I thought I would keep my email from Frontier but now I want to delete email after I read them on my iPad from Frontier and be done with it. Your wife has an intermediary in her Win7 PC using outlook. I get my email directly from Frontier using the iPad's email app. No Outlook needed. I have a Win7 PC with Outlook, when I sync my PC with Frontier, all the email I've downloaded to my PC is wiped clean off of Frontier's email service. I would like the same function with my iPad. If I can get the iPad to do what my PC does with Outlook, that is one less function for my PC.
MattIM: thanks for your response. I agree with you, taking as much of the intermediary stuff out of the equation would be my preference. But my wife has separation anxiety about giving up the Outlook link of the chain. So I'm trying to figure out how to do the syncing. Any ideas? Thanks.

amj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Esschoir,
In case you haven't received an answer yet... I recommend you check out IMAP as a means to get email. Do a search on IMAP and you'll probably find a lot of info on how to set up. Basically it is a 2 way communication protocol that will allow your wife to use several devices to manage her mail without losing anything (as you would with POP) or having to delete several times (as you would with POP) because everything is kept on the IMAP server and all devices with "sync" since any email saved on a device is only temporary -- at least until you archive it off to a separate .pst file. I strongly recommend you pick one device to be the master manager that will do all the archiving. If your wife's email allows IMAP, it should meet your needs.

There are a lot of site online...this one is specifically for gmail so it might not be exactly what you need, but it does explain things nicely.

Official Gmail Blog: Getting Gmail anywhere: IMAP versus POP

Aloha
amj

texasez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to settings, mail, select your email account, advanced, and then select delete from server, and you can choose when to delete the email from the server. This will allow you to delete emails from the ipad and it will not show up on outlook after that.

Most reactions

Latest posts