1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

How to play existing MP3s on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by kbojda, Jun 24, 2012.

1. kbojda

kbojda iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    All I want to do is get my existing MP3 library onto my iPad and be able to play it in background mode. I'd even be willing to use iTunes to do it, if it doesn't involve repurchasing everything I already own. I've owned an iPad 2 for about 6 months, but I haven't figured this out yet.

When I open the Music app that came with the iPad, it doesn't recognize music that I've downloaded off our music server using an app called MediaConnect. (MediaConnect will apparently let me stream what's on the iPad to another device, but won't play it on the iPad itself--go figure.) When I open the iTunes app, I don't see anything that allows me to upload existing MP3s. When I open the iCloud settings, I don't see anything that involves music. When I open Settings > Music, "Show All Music" is on, which says it will show everything on the cloud, but since I didn't get the mp3s from iTunes and I can't figure out how to upload them to the cloud, it says I have no music.

What do I need to do to play my existing MP3s on my iPad?
  2. TheRambler

TheRambler Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0
    If you go into i tunes click on file, then add folder for a full album, or add file for a specific track.

Once all mp3s loaded, sync your iPad

Hope this helps

Just thought you can put your stuff on itunes then when you go into music, click on more, then shared, then click on your music library, you can then play wirelessly without taking up memory......remember home sharing needs to be turned on in itunes
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  3. kbojda

kbojda iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, click on "file" exactly where in iTunes?
  4. TheRambler

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0
    Top left of the screen, and never be scared to ask what you think is a silly question ;-)
  5. kbojda

kbojda iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh good! 'Cause I'm still not seeing it. On the "Music" page, top left has "Genres." Should I be on a different page?

image-438799062.jpg
  6. TheRambler

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0
    I thought you meant itunes on your pc, thats itunes on the ipad, sorry for the misunderstanding
  7. Mickey330

Mickey330 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,667 / 0
    Your best bet is to get the songs to your computer and put them into iTunes (per The Rambler's guidance). Then, you can sync them across to the iPad so you can play them on the iPad with the Music app (the orange icon with the note on it). The iTunes app on the iPad is really just a gateway to the App Store for you to buy more music (and movies and such). it's not really a management tool for getting your music to play on the iPad.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn
  8. kbojda

kbojda iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Geez, this is convoluted! So I've got to go install iTunes on my PC, download files off our server onto the PC, upload them from the PC to through the iTunes I've just installed, download them onto the iPad, where in fact the files already exist but can't be played, just so I can play them when I don't happen to have network connectivity? Please tell me at least that I will be able to play them locally, even without Internet access? Or will I need access to the cloud? If so, that defeats a large part of the purpose of this whole exercise, as I can currently stream them when I'm at home from our server.
  9. TheRambler

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0
    Once you have loaded on computer i tunes and then synced to your ipad, you can play freely without any connection necessary.
  10. kbojda

kbojda iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So many things about the iPad are so effortless & beautiful, I guess there has to be something for me to complain about! But now I know what needs to be done. Thanks, Rambler & Marilyn!
  11. TheRambler

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0
    No worries, come back and let us know how you get on, I'm sure it will be fine.

As a windows user i see two different sides of the coin, but i am coming round to the way Apple's operating system works, once iTunes is installed on your PC its a great tool for file swapping.

Try downloading the free ipad manual from here

Apple - Support - Manuals

It contains some great info