What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to maintain an iBook on the iPad Air itself?

Aloyisius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently added the iBook Search Pro app to my new, 32gb iPad Air. For practice, I downloaded a small children's book, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. However, when I tried to open that book later while in the car, it wasn't there. A message popped up saying that I wasn't connected to wifi. Well, duh. I understand that this is not an iPhone. But I assumed that I had downloaded the book to my iPad (as I hope to do with many books in the future) so that I could read it wherever the heck I was.

What is the problem here? How do I use this iPad as an ereader when not on wifi?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Did you mean eBook Search Pro?

From what I can see this app searches free book sources, then downloads them, and opens them into the book reading app of your choice.

The last step would be the important one. Just downloading the book wouldn't do a you any good. And looking to read the book in the eBook Search Pro app would also fail (if an option) when you are out of range, since I doubt the downloads there are permanent (since it means to save them in another app: iBooks, Kindle, or Nook).

The most important step here would be to make sure you choose a reading app, then make sure the book is actually in that app by opening that app, and opening the book. (while still on wi-fi).

At any rate, I've only read the description of the free version of the app, so I'm not certain of how it works, or how well. It's got good reviews, so it should at least be usable.

As a side note, I'm guessing the app's main source of free books is Project Gutenberg. Most of these books are available, for free, in the iBooks, Kindle, and probably the Nook app (haven't used that one in a while).

The main advantage of the eBook Search app is probably just better search tools. And it might have more sources than Project Gutenberg.

You can also go to the Project Gutenberg page in Safari, and download the books form there. Like the eBook Search app, downloading is not enough. You need to do the next step and save the book to a reader. If you want to do this, and don't know how to use the Open In feature of Safari to save downloaded content, let me know. I can give a quick explanation. This post is already getting a bit long. :)

OP
A

Aloyisius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. eBook Search Pro is definitely the search mechanism, and the book downloaded to iBooks, which I guess is the reader.
I'm not sure why, but just now I turned my wifi off and was able to read the book. I didn't do anything different than the other day when it was not available for reading.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe the book hadn't finished downloading when you tried to read it before.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. eBook Search Pro is definitely the search mechanism, and the book downloaded to iBooks, which I guess is the reader.
I'm not sure why, but just now I turned my wifi off and was able to read the book. I didn't do anything different than the other day when it was not available for reading.

Hmm. Glad it working.

I really prefer to fix things, but sometimes we just have to settle for them fixing themselves, and wondering if it's the last we'll see of the problem. ;)

Extra, unnecessary info:

iBooks is Apple's ebook (and audiobook) reader.
Kindle is Amazon's
Nook is Barnes & Noble

For the most part books purchased from their stores are incompatible with the other readers, and in Amazon's case even the file format is incompatible with the other two. However, all of them can side load DRM free (Digital Rights Management) books in some format. That's what the eBook Search app is taking advantage of.

OP
A

Aloyisius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, I had had it on there for several days. Oh, well...if it happens again I will re-post. Thanks again.

Most reactions