What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to install iCloud app

Reaction score
An employee at Walmart dropped my sister's mini iPad and cracked it. She's going to the store in the morning to exchange it for a new one. She has a lot of pictures on it. I have her ipad tonight. What would be the best way for her to transfer her pictures to her new iPad? 1) iCloud; 2) use a camera connection kit between the two iPads; 3) dropbox; or, 5) something else.
She would like to view the pictures in the photo stream or camera roll on her new iPad and not left stored on a storage site.
Thanks
Billy

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The best way to transfer all the content, including photos, from her current iPad to the replacement is to do a full backup if the iPad in iTunes on the computer before taking it in for exchange, then restoring the new iPad from that backup. This will have the new iPad set up exactly as the old one was, with all photos and other content intact.

Also; after the backup is made, erase the iPad and restore to factory condition so none of her content is on the old iPad.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A camera connection kit between two iPads won't enable her to transfer the images from one device to the other.

If she uses iCloud Photo Library, the images will be saved to iCloud, and appear on her new iPad when she sets it up and enables iCloud Photo Library there too. To be sure that they're in iCloud, go to www.icloud.com on a computer, open Photos there and take a look at the images. Make sure no image is missing.

A backup to iCloud or iTunes doesn't include photos, if she already uses iCloud Photo Library, btw.

OP
B
Reaction score
J. A., you certainly know more about this than I do but I searched "how to transfer photos from one ipad to another" and clicked on the 1st result which was a youtube video which showed how to do it with a camera connection kit and sync cable.

When I enabled the Photo Library I found out her iPad is storing 6.23 GB of photos and videos. She has 5.37 GB of iCloud storage available.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Using the camera connector kit to transfer images is something I didn't know, but I've just tried it, using my iPad Air and my iPad mini. It really works.

In that case, using the CCK to transfer the images would be the easiest way.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Scifan57, you said
"Also; after the backup is made, erase the iPad and restore to factory condition so none of her content is on the old iPad."

How do you do that?
Go to Settings - iCloud. Scroll down to Find my iPhone and disable it.

Then go to Settings - General - Reset, and select "Erase all Content and Settings".

OP
B
Reaction score
J. A.
I found how to reset to factory settings. That was the question I deleted.
But why, "Go to Settings - iCloud. Scroll down to Find my iPhone and disable it." ?

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If she doesn't remove the iPhone from her iCloud ID, no one else will be able to use it afterwards. You remove the iPad from the iCloud ID by disabling Find my iPhone, then erasing it.

Most reactions

Latest posts