What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to hide birthdays from notification area?

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is it possible to hide birthdays that are displayed on the pull-down notification area (as calendar items)? Within Calendar app itself, I have the birthday calendar unchecked (so that they're not displayed there), but this setting seems not to affect the notification area.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, just confirmed this. It does seem to be a bit of an oversight, likely because it is a special case driven from the Contacts app, rather than being a true Calendar. Cannot see a way to disable it in the Notification Centre at all :(

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So it's like the Birthdays within the Calendar, which takes them directly from Contacts (back when I didn't know this fact, I thought it was a leftover from a previous Google sync), but at least that can be turned off.
Well it's even worse on my side (i.e. double entries in the notification area), as my actual calendar is being synced with Outlook, which automatically makes birthday "appointments" from each contact that has the birthday field filled out.
I guess the old Outlook wisdom applies... "use the notes field for birthdays instead of the birthday field". :/

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The problem is you can't actually turn off Birthdays in the Calendar app. All you are doing is hiding them. Just like your other calendars, hiding does not delete or disable the actual events.

Not that anything I've said here helps solves the issue. ;)

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There has been some "voodoo" in action because on occasions, those double entries in fact vanish somehow. So it's like half of the issue gets solved on its own, but again, no idea how & why. :D

Most reactions

Latest posts